Sign in to follow this  
Guest Magellanic

Infinity: The Quest For Earth

Guest Magellanic

Has anyone heard of Infinity: The Quest For Earth? I'm surprised no one has mentioned it thus far, it's really an outstanding looking project.

It's a space sim that's independently being produced by a team of designers world-wide. The main programmer is Flavian Brebion, from Belgium.

The game uses Procedural Rendering to generate new environmental content (planets, starts, systems, etc) on the fly, so you don't have to wait for developer updates to explore strange new worlds. Everything is seamless, so there's no unnatural transitions between space and atmosphere. You can mine a planet for it's minerals, produce ships and weapons, trade commodities, hunt criminals, be a criminal, etc.

It's still being made, and the official release date is "When it's done". The Beta is expected to be open in 2008.

There's a multiplayer program availble called the Infinity Combat Prototype. It was made solely to test the network code and combat engine, nothing more. There's no planet landings or hyperspace jumps. Just TvT combat with the AI controlling battleships and the humans controlling their individual fighters. Still, a lot of people play on it, and there's a brawl every Saturday and Sunday.

The main website is here at http://www.fl-tw.com

Here are some screenshot thumbnails (click to enlarge) to check out. Keep in mind that these aren't even close to the final product; they're basically pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre alpha :biggrin:

gdnet_3_thumb.jpg planet_tex_new_100_thumb.jpg shawn_station_32_thumb.jpg planet_full_46_thumb.jpg planet_full_33_thumb.jpg

More screenshots at http://www.fl-tw.com/Infinity/infinity_media.php

And before anyone even says it...

No this is not an EVE clone! :tongue:  And if you need further proof, check out this thread -> http://fl-tw.com/InfinityForums/viewtopic.php?t=1175

For a comprehensive list of in-game features, go to http://www.fl-tw.com/Infinity/infinity_features.php

Edited by Magellanic

those look sweet

I yearn for the day they make another game like Wing Cmdr/X-Wing with current graphics but a slightly more open style of gameplay. Good as the old ones were, the replayability wasn't that high.

I yearn for the day they make another game like Wing Cmdr/X-Wing with current graphics but a slightly more open style of gameplay. Good as the old ones were, the replayability wasn't that high.

Yeah me too. Maybe I should d/l DOSBox and install the saga again :)

(talking bout WC here.)

Falcon

Guest Magellanic

Oddly enough, I never played those older games. I played Descent and Starfleet Academy and Rebel Assault.

But in case you're wondering, Infinity will have controlable ships from small fighters to huge capital ships. You can only control one at a time, but you can fight on any scale, from huge dogfights to massive cruiser strikes. And it can be in space or in a planets atmosphere.

There even may be underground complexes for dogfighting in a "Descent" style.

Oh man, I LOVED Descent. I had the BEST time playing DM in that game at a LAN meet I used to frequent. First D1, then D2, and then D3. Not a true space sim, though.

Rebel Assault was just meh. Starfleet Academy was ok, but I cared more about the FMV with Takei and the Shatner cameo. :grin:

The best in that genre was Klingon Academy (Christopher Plummer returns as Kang! David Warner as Gorkon! Brilliantly done!) and Bridge Commander.

Oh man, I LOVED Descent. I had the BEST time playing DM in that game at a LAN meet I used to frequent. First D1, then D2, and then D3. Not a true space sim, though.

Rebel Assault was just meh. Starfleet Academy was ok, but I cared more about the FMV with Takei and the Shatner cameo. :grin:

The best in that genre was Klingon Academy (Christopher Plummer returns as Kang! David Warner as Gorkon! Brilliantly done!) and Bridge Commander.

There are so many mods for BC out there,maybe we should try to find them and host them here,but yes KA and BC ares till going strong.I wish I had mine back.SA was ok..and the cameos were a nice touch.

Guest Magellanic

I feel the same about Descent. It's a staple in my childhood gaming experience. That's why I was so excited when so many people (including the devs) on the Infinity boards have actually played Descent! (On a side note, I was going to be helping in a Descent: Source mod for HL2, but the project was scrapped shortly after it got started. :( )

Anyway, there are updates every now and then about Infinity, and hopefully within 1 or 2 episodes, my podcast will have an interview with one of the Infinity devs, as well as some Corporation advertisments, etc :P It should be a fun episode

Never played Wing Commander, and only played the demos of Tie Fighter and X-Wing Alliance... Though I think that the best games since were the Descent: Freespace and Freespace 2 games... Those rock... Huge capital ships, nice graphics, nice storyline with nice FMV sequences in between... all in all very nice...

Back on topic, I remember I've tried out the Infinity Combat Prototype, but I didn't manage to do anything because I was kinda hoping to fly it with a joystick (for me, space combat has to be with joystick, mouse is just bs, and keyboards are there just for extra keys, not for flying), so I wonder if with the more recent releases there's been any sort of joystick support? Does anybody know? If yes, and if this MMO follows the Guild Wars policy (pay the game once and play for free) - I'll be there!