Sign in to follow this  
TeTeT

Allowed Weapons on an aircraft?

When reading the various INI files I stumbled over this question. How does one check which weapons are allowed on a particular station without going to the loadout screen but reading the INI files? In an aircrafts data.ini file lines like

AllowedWeaponClass=BOMB,ARM,EP,MER,RP,FT,CGR

can be found. How are these values related to those defined in Weapondata.ini, especially WeaponDataType.

How are the the entries of 'AllowedWeaponClass' in an aircrafts data.ini file and the WeaponDataType in Weapondata.ini related, if at all? I suspect there's another ini involved I'm unaware of ...

Background for this question is that I'm currently writing a small tool to automatically check aircrafts for installation problems. So far only AttachementTypes and nations are checked.

Following up on my own question, in WEAPONSDATA.INI the following WeaponDataTypes are found:

1. WeaponDataType=0 Bomb
  2. WeaponDataType=1 Torpedo? and Guided Missiles (homing?)
  3. WeaponDataType=2 Rocket Pod
  4. WeaponDataType=3 Gun Pod
  5. WeaponDataType=4 ECM, Navigation, Targeting
  6. WeaponDataType=5 Drop Tank
  7. WeaponDataType=6 Rack Type

My best guess for the AllowedWeaponClass relation is:

1. WDT=0 BOMB NUC LGB EOGB
  2. WDT=1 ARM SAHM IRM
  3. WDT=2 RCKT
  4. WDT=3 GP
  5. WDT=4 EP RCN TLR
  6. WDT=5 FT
  7. WDT=6 MER TER CGR

Unknown to me is IFP, DLP, EOGR and probably a couple others. If the assignment between these has not been published elsewhere, I'll complete the list. Creating a test airplane and changing the AllowedWeaponClass should work.

Edited by TeTeT

Following up on my own question, in WEAPONSDATA.INI the following WeaponDataTypes are found:
  1. WeaponDataType=0 Bomb
  2. WeaponDataType=1 Torpedo? and Guided Missiles (homing?)
  3. WeaponDataType=2 Rocket Pod
  4. WeaponDataType=3 Gun Pod
  5. WeaponDataType=4 ECM, Navigation, Targeting
  6. WeaponDataType=5 Drop Tank
  7. WeaponDataType=6 Rack Type

My best guess for the AllowedWeaponClass relation is:

1. WDT=0 BOMB NUC LGB EOGB
  2. WDT=1 ARM SAHM IRM
  3. WDT=2 RCKT
  4. WDT=3 GP
  5. WDT=4 EP RCN TLR
  6. WDT=5 FT
  7. WDT=6 MER TER CGR

Unknown to me is IFP, DLP, EOGR and probably a couple others. If the assignment between these has not been published elsewhere, I'll complete the list. Creating a test airplane and changing the AllowedWeaponClass should work.

There is a complete list of all weapon designations in the knowledge base here:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=12099

Below is an excerpt from that article:

"Weapon Type Listing for the AllowedWeaponClass= Entry

BOMB ... Bomb

LGB ..... Laser-guided Bomb

EOGB .. Electro-Optically Guided Bomb

AWD ... Area-weapon Dispensor

NUC .... Nuclear Bomb

RCKT .. Rocket, single

WGR ... Wire-guided Rocket

CGR ... Command-guided Rocket

LGR .... Laser-Guided Rocket

EOGR .. Electro-Optically Guided Rocket

ARM .... Anti-radiation Missile

ASM .... Anti-ship missile

IRM ..... Heat-seeking Missile

SAHM .. Semi-active Homing Missile

AHM .... Active Homing Missile

RP ...... Rocket Pod

GP ...... GunPod

EP ...... ECM Pod

LP ...... Laser Pod

NP ...... Navigation Pod

DLP .... Data-link Pod

RCN ... Recon Camera Pod

IFP ..... Illuminiation Flare Dispensor

FT ....... Fuel Tank

2BR .... Twin Bomb Rack

2IR ..... Twin IRM Rack

2AR .... Twin AHM Rack

TER .... Triple Ejector Rack

TLR .... Triple Homing Rocket Rack

MER ... Multiple Ejector Rack

BFT .... Bomb carrying Fuel Tank "

Thanks for the list, tank03! Here are some more updates

• WeaponDataType=0 Bomb
  • WeaponDataType=1 Torpedo and Guided Missiles (homing?)
  • WeaponDataType=2 Rocket Pod
  • WeaponDataType=3 Gun Pod
  • WeaponDataType=4 ECM, Navigation, Targeting
  • WeaponDataType=5 Drop Tank
  • WeaponDataType=6 Rack Type

• WDT=0 BOMB NUC LGB EOGB
  • WDT=1 ARM SAHM IRM CGR EOGR
  • WDT=2 RCKT TLR
  • WDT=3 GP
  • WDT=4 EP RCN LP
  • WDT=5 FT
  • WDT=6 MER TER CGR

I guess there are a few left ;)

I wondered what the exact question was!!!

You know, a full list (like posted above) is in the the weapons pak pdf file.

There's also a twin-arm rack (2AR, me thinks??? -- and I just made one for the Thud G WW)

These don't work yet:

DLP

NP

not sure:

IFP (we DO have illuminator flare, with pods..so I not sure about that one)

BFT hasn't been used, that I know of. I only know of 1 bird that might use it; seen a few pics of a Mirage III with bombs on the drop tanks. I know the IDF never used them.

Wrench

kevin stein

Wrench,

Do you have a link to the PDF or the name of the file so it can be searched?

:blush:

You know, a full list (like posted above) is in the the weapons pak pdf file.

There's also a twin-arm rack (2AR, me thinks??? -- and I just made one for the Thud G WW)

These don't work yet:

DLP

NP

not sure:

IFP (we DO have illuminator flare, with pods..so I not sure about that one)

BFT hasn't been used, that I know of. I only know of 1 bird that might use it; seen a few pics of a Mirage III with bombs on the drop tanks. I know the IDF never used them.

Wrench

kevin stein

The exact question goes like: In an aircraft's data.ini every WEAPON_STATION has a field AllowedWeaponClass. The aircraft's loadout.ini lists WeaponType for the different stations. To verify that the entries in loadout.ini are sensible, I'd like to see if they are of AllowedWeaponClass. But the assignment between Type and Class was not obvious to me in

WEAPONDATA.INI.

Honestly, I was never obvious to ME either!!! :rolleyes: Now, thanks to your work, I know what those little numbers mean (kinda always wondered...) I just took them for granted, that they meant something, just never knew what.

As to knowing what kind of weapon was loaded on a particular aircraft, I just been using what I've learned over the years, research books I have (hundreds!!!!), photos, and web searches. There are certain obvious things you wouldn't be seeing, like a TER of Mk82s on P-51 (I know that's a lousy example, but....)

A lot depends on the aircraft itself. You won't see, for instance, a Walleye on F-100. It has nothing to use as a TV sight (EOGB). You would see it on a Phantom, or Skyhawk (C or later), or Corsair II. Conversely, you CAN have a Bullpup on the Hun, or anything else that 'hardwired' for the controls - since it requires no visual link. RCG type

OTH, going back to our Hun (stock F-100D), since it dosen't have any kind of RWR, mounting a ARM on it might not be realistic. None of the Weasel stuff I've rearched has given any indiction of the use of an anti-radiaton missile. (most photos I've seen show, F-100F we're speaking of) bombs and/or rocket pods. But the game allows us to load one. Yes, I know the F had some kind of RWR for the Bear. But the Shrikes may not have been availble at the time, or the aircraft had no more room for electronics 'growth'. Which is actually true; hence the mods for the Thud G into the next WW.

I think the loads are more of a 'common sense' things...what's available, and is the bird wired to handle it??

I now pass on the most important thing I've ever learned in all my combat flight simming -- Research, Research and More Research. It has to make 'real world' sense.

Bright_Blue_skies: the pdf doc in question is called "Weapons_pak.pdf" and its included in the weapons pak.

It should also be at the Weapons Wiki, and might even be here in the Knowledge Base (I'll have to check that)

Wrench

kevin stein

Shrikes use a targeting system, even back in the 60's. Aircraft used foe SEAD were modified, they usually have extra antennas for the targeting system.

the info (transmitting radars )was displayed on the radar scope, and the pilot could "point" a Shrike seeker to a specific target by assigning it to the missile ( basically works the same way as locking a radar target).

Depends also on the missile version ect.

very hard to get reliable info on that stuff.

... There are certain obvious things you wouldn't be seeing, like a TER of Mk82s on P-51 (I know that's a lousy example, but....)

I am certainly guilty of this and like to load up my planes until they are hardly able to take off. Of course only to be rightfully trashed at the Nth pass over the target ...

A lot depends on the aircraft itself. You won't see, for instance, a Walleye on F-100. It has nothing to use as a TV sight (EOGB). You would see it on a Phantom, or Skyhawk (C or later), or Corsair II. Conversely, you CAN have a Bullpup on the Hun, or anything else that 'hardwired' for the controls - since it requires no visual link. RCG type

This is certainly an area worth checking. Even when a weapon in loadout.ini is principally possible, it should be checked if special sensors are available. The big question is of course how. A quick inspection in WEAPONSDATA.INI reveals that EODisplayFlags differs between weapons and can have any of these values:

EODisplayFlags=0

EODisplayFlags=1

EODisplayFlags=4

EODisplayFlags=257

EODisplayFlags=258

EODisplayFlags=260

EODisplayFlags=513

EODisplayFlags=514

EODisplayFlags=516

EODisplayFlags=65793

EODisplayFlags=65794

EODisplayFlags=66052

EODisplayFlags=268435456

EODisplayFlags=268500992

EODisplayFlags=268501249

EODisplayFlags=268697600

EODisplayFlags=268763136

EODisplayFlags=268763393

EODisplayFlags=268763394

I guess this is somehow connected to an entry in the avionics.ini for the aircraft.

I think the loads are more of a 'common sense' things...what's available, and is the bird wired to handle it??

I now pass on the most important thing I've ever learned in all my combat flight simming -- Research, Research and More Research. It has to make 'real world' sense.

Agreed, to get a good historical loadout this is absolutely needed. With the vast amounts of different ammunition types and subtypes available from the Weapons Pack I do rely on the excellent PDF guide that is included and on the Designation Website.

The tools main purpose, however, is to detect installation problems and problems with aircrafts that have not been updated for recent versions of the Weapons Pack. It would be very nice if it could even do some suggestions on loadouts based on your knowledge base entries...