So after a bit of practice in the ol' Hun, I decided to go back into campaign and try the evil mission that pits me against MiG-17s as primary targets. I lost my wingman right away, with nary a peep of "I'm hit". But luckily, the other two guys I brought with me survived and did some good on their own.

It was early morning and I managed to pop the first Fresco with an AIM-9B. The second, as you can see, had the luck of the devil:

post-366-1184132525_thumb.png

I managed to catch him in the vertical and sawed off the outboard panels of both wings, clipped an airbrake, and did sufficient damage to his engine that he started smoking. End of the second MiG, right? Wrong! I was headed away and so forth when I noticed "Hey, he's still up..."

To make a long story short, I had to follow this fool around for another four or five minutes trying to get him in range for a gun kill. All the while, he's making big circles and slowly descending at a fixed speed while enemy AAA hunts for me. Eventually, I manage to get within 500 feet of him and tag the guy with another burst. Finally, his right wing falls off and I get to go home. I had maybe one more burst left in the guns, and then I would have had to shaken a fist at him or tried to make him spin.

Any pilot good enough to handle that wreck of an airplane shouldn't have been cannon fodder for me. :dntknw:

The AI are remarkably capable of flying planes with damage compared to their combat skills. :grin:

To make your ammo last longer you can split you guns into 2 groups of 2 guns

in one woe mission i did manage 10 gun kills by doing this with the f-100

the crusader lets you do this too