If you want me to wait until that is complete I'm happy to oblige.

Email on the way...

Edited by Timmy

Timmy::

If you want me to wait until that is complete I'm happy to oblige.

I'll start on that. Meantime, would you like to try my latest FM? I'm learning new stuff every day.

STOP -- OKAY -- Meteor F8 uses a modded A-4 cockpit. This will work. Lemme look at making some Moves in the cockpit file. Be right back. Wrench has WW2 Soviet gunsight that we might use, but we need to find out for sure if its okay.

I'm trying to match up the Meteor/A-4 cockpit frame with your aircraft model's cockpit frame. Its rough but I could probably tweak the cockpit Offset, Position, and make some Moves on the canopy frame. The model/cockpit colours could be matched up one way or the other. I think we should offer the downloader instructions for Moving the mirror blanks out of the way if they don't use mirrors (I think A-4 can do this). I took this screenshot with the sun rising behind the aircraft to highlight the interior.

MiG-9-3.jpg

Below is a out of cockpit view that may be unique to the entire SF series. The Meteor author has already Moved the rear canopy wall from the A-4 cockpit (see the Move at bottom of cockpit.ini file). This requires correct positioning relative to the external model, which we have done here. Your model's Fuselage and Nose are turn ON in the FM data file to allow us to see the antenna from the cockpit.

Note A-4's rear cockpit wall is gone...

MiG-9-4.jpg

---

Its not perfect, but its not bad either. See page 5 of this thread to see my XtremE radical method of using Kesselbrut's Yak-3 instrument panel inside your external model. This requires the downloader to make some FlightEngine.ini changes however and as far as I know, I'm the only one doing this.

We need a silver skin.

Edited by Lexx_Luthor

Silver skin? Check your email.

I'm continually amazed by what you can do with cockpits...

Edited by Timmy

Timmy::

I'm continually amazed by what you can do with cockpits...

Well maybe we can shoehorn you into a cockpit someday. evilgrin01.gif

One of my faves is flying inside the B-29 model ... czech out the pics in this ThudWire page ~> http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p...sc&start=16

...and recall that "small" project that we talked about smokin.gif

Thanks Timmy, I got the emil. Nice skins. I've got to sleep -- I work a 13 hour day tommorow. I must hop into the shower and scrub FM off of me.

I think you should stay with your original cockpit idea "as was" -- its possible that you and others may not see the MiG-9 canopy frame and antenna from the cockpit as I see it above. There is one FlightEngine.ini variable that must be changed; one of the clip distances.

If you want to test my "moderate" cockpit method in the two screenshots above below is some cockpit data. If you see no antenna and MiG model canopy, in the FlightEngine.ini file, try under the text block [NearSceneClip] the following value NearClipDistance=0.05 .

COCKPIT.INI

:

:

:

Offset=0,-0.05,-0.05

Position=0,0.90,0.42

ViewAngles=0.0,0.0,0.0

MaxYaw=175

MinYaw=-175

MaxPitch=90

MinPitchFront=-60

MinPitchRear=-40

LightRange=1.5

LightInnerConeAngle=43

LightOuterConeAngle=60

LightAngles=0.0,-35.0,0.0

DiffuseLightFactor=0.5

NightLightOn=0.50

NightLightColor=0.5,0.4,0.3

:

:

Are you sure you want AG gunnery mode for MiG-9?

Gotta get some sleeps.

From what I've read the MiG-9 was used mainly in ground attack squadrons prior to being retired.

Right, I never even considered that possibility, and AG was often the role of older VVS fighters. I "forgot" about that. You see how narrow minded we PVO types are. :dntknw:

Guest capun

FYI

The Meteor cockpit tweaks were done by Charles

Lexx and Timmy,

I have an as yet unreleased cockpit for the F-80, that was created by Kesselbrut for a project that USAFMTL and I were working on. I believe that it would be a far better "fit" for an early jet, then would the A-4's pit.

If you can get permission from Kesselbrut and USAFMTL to use it in your model, I'll send it to you.

Thanks capun...and Charles.

Fubar, F-80 cockpit would be interesting. Where is Kesselbrut? I'd love to get permission to do lots of re-skinning in the Yak-3 pit and share the re-skins with others.

I've asked for permissions from both Kesselbrut and USAFMTL - just waiting to hear from Kesselbrut...

Thanks for the idea Fubar.

Cubs lose! Cubs lose! Cubs lose!!!!! 99 years of futility apparently continues.

Timmy, I know you are not a long haired FM type, so if you like, maybe somebody else would like to czech out the FM I sent you? I have not really further deveoping the FM I sent you, but I've been experimenting with "single wing" FM here (don't do this at home!!). I can further tweak the "classical" two wing FM but I'll need feeback. Thanks.

The extreme exponential drag table I described above works great...for player plane, assuming the player knows what's going on . But in THE DOGFIGHT, the AI just pulls extreme alpha and airspeed quickly falls near zero. I even saw a MiG-9 falling like a leaf from the sky and still taking snap shots at passerby F-80 -- the MiG still in dogfight mode and no kind of recovery mode. The AI is not up to this. I have to use the classical SF-esque drag table philosophy.

Funny, the falling leaf MiG shot down one passing F-80. The opposing F-80s didn't have this problem -- because they have the classical drag table.

...or maybe the extreme pitch can be limited by the Cm variables and this could limit AI extreme alpha. I have much more to learn yet.

Edited by Lexx_Luthor

Nothing works right now. Its more than drag table. Even the two wing FM is causing the AI MiG to fall out of the sky although not as much. I tried Pasko's F-80 again and the AI does much better staying in the air during a dogfight, but flying it myself, I can still pull high gee turns with *very* slow energy loss. Maybe the only thing to do is artificially limit the pitch or pitch rate or something -- I'm hoping that would force AI aircraft combat speeds to stay higher, which is desirable with aircraft of this era.

:ok: I was panicking again. Elevator Cmdc was my problem. I had been using a high absolute value (-2.0) to create high speed pitch instability -- Timmy you should have seen this. However, it allows far too much alpha pull and the AI uses it to the max. A nice -0.25, close to column5's F-80 value, works fine, and AI MiGs are doing fine again in combat. I have other methods of creating the high speed vibrations.

Progress.

The overall Pitchdamper variable at the top limits AI pulling extreme gees, but its not a good solution. Putting high negative Cmq in the fuselage has the same basic effect, but can be tailored to airspeed with the Cmq Mach table. For one thing, at takeoff, high negative Cmq prevents pitch required to liftoff at realistic speeds. A Mach table would fix this for very low speeds. The problem I'm having is I want as "hardcore" an FM as possible, but the AI won't use it properly, or (most likely) I'm missing something.

Do'h I'm not missing anything. The AI always wants to get low and very slow.

Timmy, in my emil, for the single-wing FM, I incorrectly stated the CDO is used to artificially limit pitch, when it is the Cmq.

I use CDO in the fuselage to create a very reliable working Mach limit --about 0.8 -- so I can ignore the MachLimit= variable at the top of the file. I'm tailoring the speeds for high altitude. Dive allows some increase in Mach, but nothing too great.