To have ground shadows from aircraft and objects without the self-shadowing effect? That stuff kills my frame rate.

There is - In the aircrafts ini file (e.g. F-104G.ini) you will find this section:

[shadow]

CastShadow=TRUE <------------------

ShadowLOD=F-104G_shadow.shd

ShadowType=1

ShadowCastDist=10000

MaxVisibleDistance=400

Change to:

CastShadow=FALSE

and save.

You can do this for each ground object in the groundobject folder also if you need.

try reducing the games graphics settings a bit also if things are still not great

Edited by CoolHand29

There is - In the aircrafts ini file (e.g. F-104G.ini) you will find this section:

[shadow]

CastShadow=TRUE <------------------

ShadowType=1

ShadowCastDist=10000

MaxVisibleDistance=400

Change to:

CastShadow=FALSE

and save.

You can do this for each ground object in the groundobject folder also if you need.

try reducing the games graphics settings a bit also if things are still not great

No good mate... Tried that and it just removed the shadow completely, ground shadow and all. Tried it for multiple aircraft and got the same result.

No good mate... Tried that and it just removed the shadow completely, ground shadow and all. Tried it for multiple aircraft and got the same result.

I've found that what kills your frame rates, isn't necessarily the shadows themselves. In fact, I have shadows, mirrors, reflections, all switched on, and I run my sim at 1600x1200 32 bpp resolution with 4x FSAA and 16x af.

Another board member who wishes to remain anonymous showed me this trick :biggrin: :

[shadow]

CastShadow=TRUE

ShadowType=1

ShadowCastDist=10000<------change this to 200. Who cares if you cannot see your aircraft's shadow cast from beyond 200 meters?

MaxVisibleDistance=400<----ditto

Fubar, what's your system, please?

Fubar, what's your system, please?

Yes please. I run 1024x768 with most details on high and a few on medium with a laptop... 2 ghz 128 radeon xpress graphics ;) . Just wish I could have AC shadows :( I love takeing off and landing with external views, and it kills it when there is no shadow present.

It's actually rather mediocre.

It's an Athlon XP-M 3000+ running at 2300 MHz core speed on a 210 MHz (420 MHz DDR) bus, which would yield an XP rating of 3400+, if you're into that sort of thing. I'm running two 512 mb sticks of Mushkin RAM in dual-channel mode, have an ATI X800XT 256 mb AGP video card, and a seven year old Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card.

As I said, it's mediocre, at best.

In the pit, all eye candy on, over active water & clouds:

gallery_279_43_281268.jpg

External view, Marcelo's Su-27, which IMHO has the best shadows of any third-party model:

gallery_279_43_38522.jpg

Hi Guys, I got a little problem...

Why aircraft shadows never appear on my pc, even if i got them enabled in the options and in the various aircraft inis? All fiiles are placed where they should, still nothing!

Funniest thing, I Copied my install overwriting the oldone on a friend's pc and they work...

Video card is a Radeon X600 128Mb (pretty old, I know it, don't kill meXD it's just a notebook...) res is 1440*900 all details on high...HELPPP!!! :blink: