Sign in to follow this  
ziker

Flying Sideways

Flying low and slow on landing approach I found myself flying sideways about 20-30 degrees.

I wanted to turn a bit to the right but the plane kept going sideways to the left.

I like the fact the the challenge in this game is flying the plane and not the technology.

I'll need a bit of advice on how to cmpansate for such side slipping.

Thanks

Hmmmm.....make sure your stick is calibrated correctly. Sounds like your rudder is out of wack. BTW...you conpensate for sideslip by using the rudder.

I'll need a bit of advice on how to cmpansate for such side slipping.

Yes, rudder helps a lot and a slight bank against the skid.

Also, if you're flying the game default SE.5a, that plane gets loads and loads of skidding.

One time, after hard rudder on final approach, my plane was literally 90 degrees from the

direction of motion. I figured I was dead for sure. But she stayed aloft and touched down

while still 30 degrees from the direction of motion. I had a good laugh over that one!

I just posted an alternative FM for the SE.5a in another thread "SE5a FM HELP".

If you use that one, you won't get nearly as bad of a skid. But that's only with

the SE.5a. Try flying on "regular" difficulty. The planes behave better in that mode.

ShrikeHawk

Yes, rudder helps a lot and a slight bank against the skid.

Also, if you're flying the game default SE.5a, that plane gets loads and loads of skidding.

One time, after hard rudder on final approach, my plane was literally 90 degrees from the

direction of motion. I figured I was dead for sure. But she stayed aloft and touched down

while still 30 degrees from the direction of motion. I had a good laugh over that one!

I just posted an alternative FM for the SE.5a in another thread "SE5a FM HELP".

If you use that one, you won't get nearly as bad of a skid. But that's only with

the SE.5a. Try flying on "regular" difficulty. The planes behave better in that mode.

ShrikeHawk

Thanks, I was flying the SE5a.

Yeah, the SE5a is a little squirrelly. :yes: