Sign in to follow this  
grayson

CTD with patch 08.30.06 in WOV.

Hi there,

Just returned to WoV after a long absence. Thought i would get myself patched up to date and D/L them all up to the 083006, the one that introduced the water detail, now the game loads and runs fine until i press the ESC key to end the mission and then its straight back to the desktop without a results screen. All of the patching was done on a vanilla install of WoV and the CTD happens under all scenarios,instant action, create mission, load misssion and Campaign. any help on this would be really helpful.

Sys Specs:

P4@3.00Ghz on an Asus 775dualvsta M/B

1Gig DDR2 dual channel mem

Radeon X850 pro with 256Mb DDR3 mem running CAT 7.1 drivers

Soundblaster live 24bit card

CHproducts USB Fighterstick

WindowXP home SP2, Directx 9.0c April 06 Version

Do you get an error message with the CTD?

Hi tristan,

No nothing at all, just a pause then back to the blue screen ???

OK, I'm gonna reach here -- are you configuring your stick with the game's own controller interface or are you using a 3rd-party GUI?

Yes i`m using CHproducts control manager ver 4.?? to set up the key inputs. Doe`s this help??

Try the game without the CH Control Manager, using just the WoV controller GUI to set up and run your stick.

I use the CH Products GUI and I do not have any problems like that. Is your Direct X up to date?

Hi there Everyone,

Tristan tried the WOV gui controller, no joy.

USAFMTL, i think my directx is up to date. I know it is definitley April 06 but it would help if Microsoft were more specific about versions.

I also run BoB wings of victory and Silent Hunter III at full max graphics without any problems. Bit of a stab in the dark here but this problem only occured after i patched the patch that allows water animation and high texture terrain,these both require pixel shader 2.0, i wonder if my card doe`s not support this mode. The documentation makes no mention of it ??

Grayson

Edited by grayson

Guest capun

If I recall correctly this type of problems have been caused before by the sound card driver. The SoundBlaster Live is a fairly old card and had some compatibility problems, one of the reasons that I switched to the Audigy2 (now I use the built-in sound in the MoBo with the new rig).

Microsoft just posted directx_aug2007_redist for download. The redistribute directx includes all the directx files, not just the updates. Your April 2006 directx is at least six updates old, so it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to grab the most current version.

My comp is very similar to grayson's, but I alternate sound output between an Audigy2 ZS and a Realtek mobo chip. I run SFP1 and WoE without any CTDs in either configuration.

Edited by Tristan

A big thumbs up to the guys who suggested the sound card drivers. Pulled the soundblaster out,went over to using the onboard sound(realtek), loaded up the drivers and hey presto everything works fine now.

By the way just flew my first few YAP missions last night and the difference is awesome. YAP has done for WoV what GWX did for Silent Hunter III, taken a great sim and made it out of this world.

many thanks to everyone who replied Grayson

Grayson --

I don't know whether you already know this or not, but the latest Realtek drivers -- R1.71 -- can be downloaded either from the Realtek site or from Majorgeeks.com.

Tristan

Edited by Tristan