Sign in to follow this  
Guest Saganuay82

Onboard video

Guest Saganuay82

I have a mobo with a video out on it, ACER T670. I am using a GeForce 6600 video card with VGA out and DVI out. I have also a spare 17" monitor that was given to me. See where I am going here?

Anyone know if it is possible to run / activate the video on the mobo and still run the NVidia. I looked around at DVI to VGA converters. Only have seen them for $30 so far. So I wanted to try this avenue before I throw the coins down to pay for it.

What am I missing or need to do to get that monitor hooked up to the mobo?

Guest Saganuay82

Hmmmmmmmmm to edit that useless response or not to edit it?

Trying to run the video via the mobo at the same time thru a vid card is a function of the bios.

Usually one is turned off, while the other is turned on. In your case, the onboard video is turned off to allow the external video to do everything.. If your video card has multiple video outs, then you can run both monitors, if it does not, then your are stuck running a single monitor.

Guest Saganuay82

I have the DVI out as well as the VGA out on the 6600. So then if the machine can't run an onboard and a video card, then I have to get a DVI to VGA converter.

I have the DVI out as well as the VGA out on the 6600. So then if the machine can't run an onboard and a video card, then I have to get a DVI to VGA converter.

Make sure the card can support two monitors that way (DVI AND VGA). Sometimes it can be an OR. My laptop has a DVI and VGA out, but only can use one at a time (because the other 'port' is the laptop screen).

Also, be careful getting a DVI/VGA cable. Because there are different variants of DVI, and I THINK the variant of DVI that normally comes out of a computer is different than the standard A/V DVI that most stores assume you have if you buy a generic DVI/VGA cable...you could get hosed. It won't break anything, just won't work.

FastCargo

Guest Saganuay82

Yeah I am pretty sure it can cause I was in looking at the NVidia settings in its control panel. All I need is that physical connection now.

your video card did not come wit an adaptor?

my 8800 gts's each came with 2 and so did my x850 xt pe's

I can mail you one if you'd like

does your monitor have both dvi and vga?

then just get a new cable 6 ft dvi for 20 at london drugs

but let me know i have 8 of em and only need 4

Guest Saganuay82

Cool man. I didn't get the machine brand new. A guy was upgrading and I bought his old machine. No idea if an adaptor came with it.

I'll check out the connections and PM you or send you a pic.

Thanks.

Guest Saganuay82

Problem solved. $5 adapter at a local computer shop. Future Shop wanted $31, lol.