Sign in to follow this  
Mike463

Retrofit those Nukes!

Purchased WOE a week ago and enjoy it immensely. However, I have some input regarding the nukes in game and some suggestions for improvement-

1. AGM-69A SRAM- brown rocket motor bands instead of black. Reddish brown nose tip, and reddish brown fins (for starters)-

http://www.fb-111a.net/sram.html

(weapon in pic has a live rocket motor but inert payload).

2. B61- well represented, needs reddish brown nose (and silver tip if your a stickler for details)-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lifeontheedge/292315596/

3. B43- red "nose" is actually a radome cover, nose is black. Parachute had plain white or off white color.

4. B83- strategic aircraft only! Perhaps someone can mod it into a B28FI for the B-52? Here's a picture of a clip-in-

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheet...eet.asp?id=1036

5. Add B28RE for tactical use (one per aircraft)-

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/systems/...s/b28-color.jpg

(note- the red cover topside is an electrical connector protective cover)

6. B53 strategic bomb- for B-52, gotta have this pig!

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheet...eet.asp?id=1037

Would also be helpful if someone could fix the loadouts- B-52 carried a typical load of 6x SRAM, 4x B28's (or 2x B53) or some variation thereof. FB-111 "usually" carried four weapons (2x SRAM and 2x B43, 61, or 83). Tactical aircraft usually limited to one bomb.

Weapon parameters need some fine tuning, but SRAM needs some work as far as range, speed, and ability goes.

A time delay feature- for low level delivery called "laydown" to allow delivery aircraft time to escape- can this be modeled in WOE as a delayed detonation?

I'd be more than happy to help out anyone who would like to tackle the situation.

Yours, Mike

Edited by Mike463

Mike,

Thanks a lot for the input. This is a lot of stuff that you are asking to be done. Nuclear weapon details are great...however, there are a bunch of projects going on.

Actually, these projects might be a great way for you to learn the ins and outs of modding for the TW series of sims. For instance, loadout files are simple text inis. You could be the one to tweak the loadout for the B-52s and FB-111s.

Also, range and speed issues with the SRAM can be changed in a similar manner, just using Notepad.

Some of the weapons have skins that are simple BMPs, you can change them in Microsoft Paint.

Check the knowledge base for details, we'd all benefit from your expertise in this area.

FastCargo

The SRAM is limited in the game because we technically don't not have the right guidance for it. So we have to use one of the guidance parameters that TK gave us for it to work semi correctly. Thus this in turn limits its range it can be usable in game.

One note, not all B61's were or are painted like that. Been around enough of them to see them in all white with red noses, all white with black noses. Just like aircraft you can never manage to find to painted almost alike.

I've run through the weapons loadouts looking for something that could be useful for SRAM guidance (no joy). I've had great success launching from 10,000 feet for long range targets and keeping the reticle on target during launch (after launch you're free to hunt for other targets, etc).

The 61 was originally unpainted, with a wax coating (later mods were painted with an aluminum based paint). It was originally a paste that had to be mixed with epoxy, thinned, and applied with a spray gun. We later received paint cans, they were about $40 a can (in 1980 prices). And no, the 61 doesn't have a red nose (like I stated previously it's a cover removed before flight on the 28 and 43).

Here's an example of a test shape drop (note the color scheme)-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whtP0uSKyf0

I did find something to help mod the B53 bomb if anyone's interested- the BLU-82 has a massive parachute which we could use for the 53's massive three 48 foot diameter chutes...

Yours, Mike

Edited by Mike463

I think we have a new weapons pack modder!

Welcome aboard!!

:biggrin:

I think we have a new weapons pack modder!

Welcome aboard!!

:biggrin:

Unfortunately my experience with modding is limited to editing files with Word or Notepad.

So, if anyone's up for a new "Nuclear Weapons Pack" let me know, I can assist with the correct paint schemes and whatnot (without going into too much detail). Also have some decent pics of Soviet/Russian, British, and French bombs. Anyone wanna take a stab with Israeli, Pakistani, and Indian nukes?

http://www.nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/We...s/Allbombs.html

Yours, Mike

Unfortunately my experience with modding is limited to editing files with Word or Notepad.

So, if anyone's up for a new "Nuclear Weapons Pack" let me know, I can assist with the correct paint schemes and whatnot (without going into too much detail). Also have some decent pics of Soviet/Russian, British, and French bombs. Anyone wanna take a stab with Israeli, Pakistani, and Indian nukes?

http://www.nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/We...s/Allbombs.html

Yours, Mike

mine too. But jumping into it is fun and you may get the hang of it. I dont' know if anyone is working on an updated weapons pack.

Mike has some good ideas there. Why not make it as accurate as it can be. The B83 is indeed a strategic-only weapon.

The B61 comes in various flavors - some tactical and some strategic. They're identified by the mod number - for example, the B61-3,4 is a european theater tactical version, and the B61-7 is a strategic version.

I'd be interested to also see an antiaircraft missile with a bigger bang than the AIM-26A/W54, like the larger W25/Genie. An old weapon, but you gotta love the kill radius :biggrin:

This sounds like a wish list. Mike - I would also be willing to provide details on the actual weapons, for realism, if anyone decides to undertake the project :good: I still have some old pics laying around.

BTW, Mike is an old Air Force puke, and I'm an old DOE Weapons Lab engineer puke. We go way back :yes:

I personally was involved in the designs of the B61-7, B61-6,8 (Cat-F PAL version), B90 (never fielded), B53-1, W61 (never fielded), B83-1 and the W69 (SRAM). If I don't have pics, I still have memories of the weapon details.

Edited by Capmaster

Of course we can't go into too many details, but things like paint schemes are no problem (many of the paint schemes on weapon shapes in museums are incorrect, in no part due to volunteers or staff). As far as the bang goes, well, we'll just use what's in the public domain...

It shouldn't be hard to mod older systems like the Mk3 Fat Man, Mark 4, 5, 6, etc. and the early thermonuclear types for SAC bombers (Mk14, 15, 17/24, 21/36, 39, etc).

I'll see what I can come up with regarding laydown in the .ini files.

Yours, Mike

Edited by Mike463

Knock yourselves out. I think the blast doesn't really care about what color the shape was before it went off. :biggrin:

Right, for all it knows it could've looked like, oh, a bunny rabbit. :wink:

Right, for all it knows it could've looked like, oh, a bunny rabbit. :wink:

You would kill a cute cuddily bunny rabbit with a NUKE? YOU MONSTER! :biggrin:

Knock yourselves out. I think the blast doesn't really care about what color the shape was before it went off. :biggrin:
Then why all the care to make the aircraft as realistic as possible? In WoV, the dink on the ground doesn't care what plane dropped the B53 that just greased him and his village ....and all the other villages :rofl:

Then why all the care to make the aircraft as realistic as possible? In WoV, the dink on the ground doesn't care what plane dropped the B53 that just greased him and his village ....and all the other villages :rofl:

But the pilot does.... :good:

Xin Loi Hanoi Jane! You numbah ten, get Mark 41!

Hanoi_Jane.jpg

Yours, Mike

How there is a good use for a B-61.

How there is a good use for a B-61.

Carlos Hathcock woulda been my choice... those early 61's were just too shiny in their unpainted, carnuba wax state!

Yours, Mike

Gunny Hathcock would of loved to have taken that shot.