Sign in to follow this  
lazboy

Swing Wing Mirage - Heresy

During some research I came across the unbelievable revelation that Dassault had once ditched the slender delta before the F1 and actually built a swing wing Mirage. the Mirage G8, so far the only model of it I have come across is for FSX though.

"On 13 October 1965, Avions Marcel Dassault received a contract to design and build one prototype of a two-seat variable-geometry fighter, the Mirage G. Powered by a single SNECMA (Pratt & Whitney) TF-306E turbofan rated at 9300kg with afterburning and owing much to the design of the Mirage F2, the Mirage G was first flown on 18 November 1967. Wing sweepback could be varied between 23° and 70°, and a speed of M=2.1 was attained In late 1968, two further prototypes had been ordered, these each being powered by two 7200kg SNECMA Atar 9K-50 turbojets. After a succession of designation changes, these emerged as Mirage G8s, the two-seat first prototype flying on 8 May 1971, and the single-seat second prototype following on 13 July 1972. The Mirage G8 was envisaged as a multi-role fighter, capable of fulfilling intercept, patrol, attack and long-range reconnaissance missions, and was fitted with Cyrano IV multi-purpose radar, a low-altitude nav/ attack system, a laser rangefinder, Doppler radar and a bombing computer. The proposed production version was to have been powered by two SNECMA M53 turbofans. In the event, the Armee de l'Air concluded that the disadvantages of variable-geometry outweighed its advantages, and after study of a fixed-geometry version with 55° of sweepback (Mirage F8), further development was discontinued."

post-27199-1188852513_thumb.jpg

post-27199-1188852556_thumb.jpg

post-27199-1188852621_thumb.jpg

Edited by lazboy

Some days ago i wach in one site what happend with this mirage....

are in some garage desroyed, this is an Historical Piece how can they do this! :blink:

i think Balzac was togeder G8... all of 2, Destroyed :(

lot of similarities to a Tornado ...

...or a lean Mig-23, except yuo can see outta the pit. :good:

Anyone know if this thing had wing swivel mounts or just glove mounts like the 23?

...or a lean Mig-23, except yuo can see outta the pit. :good:

Anyone know if this thing had wing swivel mounts or just glove mounts like the 23?

I agree totally! The middle looks very similar to a MiG-23.

You can see the Mirage G8 "biplace" (french for two seat) at "Le Bourget's museum" near Paris...

It was a great plane, but too expensive for the French Armée de l'Air (and only optimized for "high speed/high altitude" air combat) :dntknw:

MAE site

Dassault's page about Mirage G series