Sign in to follow this  
Str][ker

Suggested System for LOMAC

I'm not sure if this has been asked already (I had a look around and could not find any info). I am interested in the opinion of the LOMAC community as to what hardware I should be buying to enjoy LOMAC in full detail settings. I've been contemplating buying a new system for a while and I think now's the time. (Note: I am aware of the official Minimum and 'suggested' system specs. I want to go beyond this)

1) Video Card. nVidia or ATI? Both have some pretty impressive cards out now. I can't determine which would be better suited for this sim.

2) Motherboard, CPU, RAM. - I'm aiming for a considerable amount of RAM (1 GB). Any thoughts on the motherboards and CPU's out there now? Also, any particular RAM types?

3) HOTAS - I had the original Thrustmaster HOTAS (configured with DIP switches!). What's the latest and greatest from Thrustmaster?

I'm not looking for debates over who is better. Just offer up your opinions. I'm sure there are others out there who would appreciate this kind of input!

I don't know about what kind of mobo or ram, (I think a fast 1 gig of ram should be enough), but as for the graphics cards its up to your taste and budget. I just went for the latest ATI just because of the final product is the look and I think that Ati's colors and AA are much better. For pure speed the nvidia stuff will just edge it out a bit but the look is not as good. Again thats just me. 128 vs the 256 models is a money+res that you want use. The more mem on the card = highier res that you can play at.

Vex

(Am putting together a P4 3 ghz with 2 gig's of ram and a Intel motherboard.)

Cougar is the hotest thing from TM right now..

Asus or Abit Mobo (nice OCing ability)

AMD or Intel - the choice is yours.. u can get a XP2500 for close to nothing and clock it past 2ghz if u know what ur doing or u can get a P4 for a little more - all depends on ur budget

1Gb RAM isn't considerable these days with the price of RAM..

i'd hit Ebay for the GC i got my ATi 9700pro 128 from there for a cheap as chips £160 :)

as for 256mb RAM graphics cards - with the way that textrure compression works i doubt u'll b using over 32Mb of Texture RAM @ 1280 with LO:MAC, but i seems that Graphics Card Manufacturers want Joe Public to have the same RAM on their gaming cards as on a professional rig.. :roll: