Sign in to follow this  
Inferno

Simhq preview is up!

Just to set the monitor refresh rate.

If there are different rates to choose from then how do you deside which rate is best for your system and what would be the affects if set wrong?

Well, as a rule of thumb, a refresh rate of 85Hz is best for most people as it removes any noticeable flickering in most circumstances.

Setting too high a refresh rate then your monitor can handle can damage your monitor, so it is always useful to check your monitor's manual beforehand.

Personally, I prefer 100Hz as my refresh rate at 1024x768 and my monitor can handle it. However if I bump up by resolution to 1280x1024, my monitor can "only" handle 85Hz. Perhaps it is because of the lighting in my room or my sensitivity to flickering, but I find anything below a 100Hz refresh rate to be a strain on my eyes. However, this on the desktop, in games, flickering is much less noticeable. But still, I would recommend nothing less then 75Hz if you don't want eyestrain.

Also, if you no longer have your monitor's manual, you can always check the display properties from the control panel and if you have the correct monitor drivers loaded, it will tell you your monitor's limits.

Just to add a little, if you enable the "v-sync" on your graphic cards display properties, it syncs the fps of the game to your monitor's refresh rate, thus removing any "tearing" effect in the game.

Personally, I turn off v-sync because it gives me a few more fps in games, but everyone has different tastes.

refresh rate? probably, but would 60 not be a bit low (with 1024*768)

Other games don't have this (at least not mine) why is it present here?

Could it be that it has something to do with the frame-rate ?

min. max. or fixed maybe the computer disables settings until it reaches that frame-rate. (just guessing)

70Hz is the Health and Safety minimum reccommended refresh rate when opperating a computer - and remember to have that 10 minute break every 2hrs ;)

i personally can't tell the diff between 70 and 120..

If there are different rates to choose from then how do you deside which rate is best for your system and what would be the affects if set wrong?

u'll just get eye strain = eyes become tired, u get headaches more easily etc, it doesn't effect the game..

u'll just get eye strain = eyes become tired, u get headaches more easily etc, it doesn't effect the game..

Thanks for the replys guys I never knew about the refresh rate. :D

geez dice don't u ever sleep? must b nearly 7am on the east coast USA

geez dice don't u ever sleep? must b nearly 7am on the east coast USA

Yojimbo, my day starts at 0430 West Coast times and I get in the bed around 2200....6 hours sleep is all I need! 8)

:shock: 4:30am!!!! ouch, must b harsh in the winter..

Hi,

I took the chance of asking the person that made the preview

if it's frame-rate or refresh-rate?

Here is his friendly answer:

"I think that option is to allow the player to specify his monitor refresh

rate. In the build that I used, this function was not yet operable. I use an

85hz setting on my monitor...did the game recognize my setting? I don't

know...but I did not notice any monitor frequency "buzz" or "shake" when

playing the game. When I tried to set the game to a higher frequency, it

defaulted to the 60hz setting (or at least to that presentation on the set

up page)."

Damn, The one thing that I notice isn't working ;)