Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

Question on "Bort" numbers.....

At least, I thinks that's what they're called. ie: Soviet Tactical numbers.

What determines what color goes on which airplane, as below: (21MF)

21mf_new_skin.jpg

I've got a full set of the original SovietNums repainted to the blue seen here (the stock ones). I know the Flagon's 'seemed' to use them more, but I've seen profiles/pictures of Fishbeds with them as well. Also seen yellow, a lighter blue and black.

What's the rhyme or reason behind it? Inside or out of the Soviet Union, type of aircraft and/or aircraft role?? Can't seem to find anything that might explain it!

BTW, that's a new skin in 1024x1024, from a new psd template I just finished. Is there any interest in it?? If not, I'll just dump it :rofl: -- yeah, like that's gonna happen!!

Wrench

kevin stein

I think ( not sure) but I seems that they are used in PVO use only. Like the Su-15, MiG-23, MIG-21bis and Foxbats only.

Yeah I think so because I seen many MiG-21R's with Blue Numbers also.

That's a good question Wrench!!

I guess my answer to your question is I don't know.

In my research I've identified all 24 Su-33s in the Soviet Navy inventory, and the testbed and production lead in aircraft. Of the Su27K(T-10) / Su-33 photos I've seen it appears that where the Navy Flanker is concerned the test and pre production aircraft carried the blue numbers while the 24 A/C assigned to the 2 squadrons carry red numbers. The one excption to this that I've seen is #79 (blue number) which (by the info I have) is the sixth production fourth serial SU-27K (T10K-6) and was assigned to the second Squadron.

13 Sea Flankers took part in the Kuznetsov's long range exercise cruise from the Barents to the Mediterranean 25 Dec 1995 - 22 Mar 1996. The First Squadron sent 5 A/C with red numbers, Second squadron sent 7 A/C with red numbrs, and the 13th was #109 (the seventh pre-production Su-27K [T10K-9]) with blue numbers.

I hope this info helps on getting us all straightened out though. It would seem that for the Sea Flankers red is operational, and blue is a testbed A/C aircraft with some degree of operational quality.

Thanks guys! I'll probably upload the package of Blue Borts, just so's folks can have them. I personally added them to the PVO Fishpots, so they all get numbers.

Odd, though, no one responeded to my question about the 1024x 21MF templates.... :haha:

Wrench

kevin stein

The answer is simple. Its their system to hide the strengh of the air force. Since early 50th (1951 or 52) the soviets use only two digit tactical numbers. Each aircraft of one Regiment has one number. The first plane of the first squadron get No. 01, the second get 02 ... the 13th get 14 and the last get No 17. The first plane of the second squadron get No. 21 the last No 26. The third Squadron begins with No 31 and ended with No 46. (16 planes each squadron). You see there are never No 00 and No 13 in soviet system.

Normaly a Regiment has 3 or 4 Squadrons, sometimes have training regiments more Squadrons, so that very rarely can you see a 3 digit tactical number.

The colour of the number is nomaly red. If there are more than 1 regiment placed on an airbase, the first regiment has red numbers, the second get blue numbers, the third get yellow numbers etc. The reason is, that if all would had red numbers, then would be 2 or more planes with the same tactical number.