Sign in to follow this  
Conehead

Dogfighting mode

The manual says that to go into dogfighting mode and use the 20mm guns I should press "D". It then shows up at "DGFT" with "EEGS" beside it in the MFD.

1. Can I choose this mode by using an actual button in the cockpit? If so, how?

2. Does pressing "A-A" button in the cockpit achieve the same thing?

I'd like to fly the plane as realistic as possible so I'd prefer to use the "A-A" button instead, or the equivalent cockpit button for "D".

Thanks!

The "dogfight" switch is actually not in the cockpit instrumentation, but on the throttle itself. So unless you have a HOTAS joystick like the one from Thrustmaster, I think you are stuck with pressing "D."

As for pressing the "A-A" button, it sorta like the dogfight switch. I think the difference is that when using the "dogfight" option, you have both the AIM-9 recticle and the EEGS gunsight, where as when using the "A-A" feature, only the selected weapon's recticle will show (that is, if you pick an AIM-9, no gunsight will show). I think....lol

So you're saying that in a real F-16 there's a switch on the throttle used to call up the "dogfight" mode? Cool. I'm using a MS Sidewinder joystick so I suppose I could map the function to one of the buttons as well, if it helped to emulate a real HOTAS.

Good to know, and thanks!