Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Back To the USAF Museum

Hey its better than driving in Siberia at least. How do the Russians do it?

Texas is a haul.....I drove from El Paso to San Antonio about 550 miles, took 7 hours roughly. and that was just 2/3 away through the state on my way to Houston. If you think driving Florida is bad, you can drive for almost 2 days (driving time) in Texas and never leave the state.

When we drove from Miami to Vegas, we drove across I-10. It took us almost 2 days with a stop somewhere east of San Antonio as I recall and was the WORST leg of the trip. About 1000 miles with NOTHING to see. :blink:

Hate to drag things back to the topic, but I will be up that way next week. The last time i went, I had my heart on seeing the Mig-29. They apparently had moved it to paint it or something, is it back on display yet? And if so, is it out on the base, or at the main facility?

I got to see a flight of them when I was stationed in Iceland in 2001

jimmig.jpg

Hate to drag things back to the topic, but I will be up that way next week. The last time i went, I had my heart on seeing the Mig-29. They apparently had moved it to paint it or something, is it back on display yet? And if so, is it out on the base, or at the main facility?

It is on display. I got some pics of it the 4 times I have been there this year.

It is on display. I got some pics of it the 4 times I have been there this year.

Holy... Looks like another trip for me to USAF Museum (Like I need a excuse :biggrin: )

Falcon

Outstanding, I will be in Columbus visiting family, but hope to make an excursion up there while we are close. I could spend hours in the book store alone!

Didn't know the Luftwaffe had outfitted their Fulcrums (before they sold them) with wing tanks. That's not standard for it, usually just the centerline tank is all that's available.

Texas is a haul.....I drove from El Paso to San Antonio about 550 miles, took 7 hours roughly. and that was just 2/3 away through the state on my way to Houston. If you think driving Florida is bad, you can drive for almost 2 days (driving time) in Texas and never leave the state.

How long did it take you from San Antonio to Whiskey Falls? I hopped the bus from BMT to tech school and it took us about 8 hours. Texas is big!!! :)

Vegas to Miami in 3 days...BAH!

I drove Victorville, CA to Ft Wayne, IN (2,200 miles) in 39 hours straight through...with about a 3 hour nap at a rest stop in Oklahoma. I was on 30 days leave in the USAF (in '87) and didn't want to lose a minute of party time. ;)

It was a drive I made round trip three times in the four years I was out there.

I did do a 3 day Indiana to Vegas drive back in 01 but that was only because my wife had never been out west and we only drove during the day time so she could see everything.

We were stopping on the way to visit all these great places my dad found...like dinosaur footprints and a cave and an old house...

Man we went to the museum just south of Davis-Mothan...it was sad...the bone yard was depressing...especially when we were just coming around the bend and I saw a line of T-34C and the d@mn bus driver was like "tour's over"...man that was the ones I wanted to see if one of my old tails was out there...but that would really have been depressing...

You mean the Pima museum? I was there when it was 120F. :biggrin:

Awesome...the Habu was roped off for repairs (how does a bird in a museum hangar need, never mind), so the tour started bad in my book...but my wife was interested in seeing the old planes (I know, I know) so off we went...