Sign in to follow this  
Shin_kazama

Mitsubishi ATD-X:Japan's new toy

I've been looking for an image of this for a little while now. There was an article on this plane back in the November Air Forces Monthly, but bugger all information about it. Apparantly it's being designed on the belief that the JASDF won't get access to the F-22. Wouldn't mind getting my grubbies on the 3d/cross section view to get a better idea of it's shape!

Wish we would sell them the -22, they probably would prefer it over the -35...but given the legendary Japanese reverse-engineering abilities it is perhaps understandable why it may be a while before it is offered up...that and it would be rather embarrassing to have to face an improved version in an Exercise (F-4E Kai).

From the video, the craft looks like a stealthy F-15. Did anybody else noticed that?

It's got an Su-30-like cockpit.

However, building a plane shaped like that is one thing. Getting the performance and stealth of the F-22 is another.

It's got an Su-30-like cockpit.

However, building a plane shaped like that is one thing. Getting the performance and stealth of the F-22 is another.

Not to advocate... But I think Japan has shown they rarely manufacture things half-assed. May not be "as stealthy" or "as high performance", but I'd imagine it's better than existing contemporary design.

Just say'n... :wink:

Not to advocate...

Yeah you do... :biggrin: It's okay, we're not here to judge :tongue:

Well, the F-2 is better than the F-16...but not THAT much. On the other hand, they've never built a stealth plane before...

Cannot tell from the angle and glare on the canopy, but is it a single or twin seat? Looks a bit smaller in span than the F-22, but again, I have nothing to give it scale. The green camo is interesting also.

Not to advocate... But I think Japan has shown they rarely manufacture things half-assed. May not be "as stealthy" or "as high performance", but I'd imagine it's better than existing contemporary design.

Just say'n... :wink:

True statement. Plus they have the advantages of time. The F-22 is an old design from the 80's and refined in the 90's after it was selected.

If we ever sold them the F-22, it would more than likely be a stripped jet, and they would install their own electronics, much like the Israelis do.

Storm

Well, the F-2 is better than the F-16...but not THAT much. On the other hand, they've never built a stealth plane before...

Again, with time, the F-2 evolved from the F-16. The F-2 is a direct offshoot of the F-16 "AGILE FALCON" program. The larger wing and other redesigns were mostly completed already by LockMart when Mitsubishi Ind. approached them with the program. Both companies tweaked it for maritime strike (thats where the two-piece canopy came from) and you had the F-2. It was great to see it produced, but I wish our own Air Force would have been able to get some. Same goes for the F-16E/F/I.

Storm

Again, with time, the F-2 evolved from the F-16. The F-2 is a direct offshoot of the F-16 "AGILE FALCON" program. The larger wing and other redesigns were mostly completed already by LockMart when Mitsubishi Ind. approached them with the program. Both companies tweaked it for maritime strike (thats where the two-piece canopy came from) and you had the F-2. It was great to see it produced, but I wish our own Air Force would have been able to get some. Same goes for the F-16E/F/I.

Storm

Mitsubishi didn't approach anyone, The US approached the Japanese government to guide the program towards a more favourable position for US manufacturers (as a response to the massive trade deficit which was in Japan's favour). Despite being a pretty bloody capable platform, I think the Japanese got screwed on the deal... bigtime. Especially if the end result is a US$100 Million per copy advanced F-16. If they develop their own or they buy from abroad, it wouldn't be too surprising to see them purchase extra units to cover the shortfall in the F-2 program.

I'm not too sure on this, to be honest I can't remember. But the F-2 uses a lot more composite materials in it's construction, compared with the F-16 IIRC. Apparently this results in a slightly smaller RCS when compared to the Viper, despite being larger. Has this been confirmed?

Mitsubishi didn't approach anyone, The US approached the Japanese government to guide the program towards a more favourable position for US manufacturers (as a response to the massive trade deficit which was in Japan's favour). Despite being a pretty bloody capable platform, I think the Japanese got screwed on the deal... bigtime. Especially if the end result is a US$100 Million per copy advanced F-16. If they develop their own or they buy from abroad, it wouldn't be too surprising to see them purchase extra units to cover the shortfall in the F-2 program.

I'm not too sure on this, to be honest I can't remember. But the F-2 uses a lot more composite materials in it's construction, compared with the F-16 IIRC. Apparently this results in a slightly smaller RCS when compared to the Viper, despite being larger. Has this been confirmed?

I had heard it a bit differently, but good info.

Storm