Yeah, the pylons are an eyesore, but that's aerodynamics for you!

damn. from a visual standpoint, to me that is the single most annoying characteristic of the bird. it looks so ridiculous when the aircraft is viewed from below. i wonder if the benefits of those pylons being outward really outstrength the eyestrain from looking at the thing.

The benefits are the weapons clearing the pylons. The original design was as usual with straight pylons but for some reason the weapons weren't clearing the pylons as they should, so Boeing really had no choice. Sure it looks weird (I've gotten used to it) but dropping the weapons is more important than aesthetics.

@serverandenforcer: I don't think it was hanging around the wrong circles, just nobody was particularly interested and it's not like I've kept it a secret either. When you make constant offers and ask to provide a model, and nobody bites sends the message.

The benefits are the weapons clearing the pylons. The original design was as usual with straight pylons but for some reason the weapons weren't clearing the pylons as they should, so Boeing really had no choice. Sure it looks weird (I've gotten used to it) but dropping the weapons is more important than aesthetics.

@serverandenforcer: I don't think it was hanging around the wrong circles, just nobody was particularly interested and it's not like I've kept it a secret either. When you make constant offers and ask to provide a model, and nobody bites sends the message.

Ah, yeah I can understand that. My comment was merely more of a joke than an actual serious response. I hope it wasn't offensive (my jokes sometimes go that route when it wasn't my intention). But in all honesty, it's one of my favorite aircraft. What needs to be done to get it finished?

Oh, and I think the extending pylons look cool... kind of remind me of claws stretching out from a predator's paw.

AmokFloo got it to the point of animations, but his HD crashed and it obviously threw a wrench into things. It'd obviously need all the ini's, the main gear doors need to be redone, mapping, and animations.