Sign in to follow this  

Last night i started messing with the Terrain Editor. I followed the 3 Tutorials in the KB and created a semi-working Terrain and im really looking forward to the 4th part, but the area i want to build is divided between 2 different DEM files from the site listed in the Tutorial. Does anyone know of any other sites that might have the DEM data for Nevada?

I want to build a Terrain of the 1950s/60s era Nevada Test Range, i want to add target areas at the detonation sites and nearby bases,I Think that it could be fun for site seeing and red flag missions.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Last night i started messing with the Terrain Editor. I followed the 3 Tutorials in the KB and created a semi-working Terrain and im really looking forward to the 4th part, but the area i want to build is divided between 2 different DEM files from the site listed in the Tutorial. Does anyone know of any other sites that might have the DEM data for Nevada?

I want to build a Terrain of the 1950s/60s era Nevada Test Range, i want to add target areas at the detonation sites and nearby bases,I Think that it could be fun for site seeing and red flag missions.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

I understand that you can import two DEM files and make one map out of it (maybe it has to be four and then you make one map out of the area you want.

Here are some notes I have from another post on it.

IMPORT adjacent dem files:

If you load TE with the extra large 1500km EAWEuro HFD file, this sets up TE for importing 1500km size regions from DEM files. This allows very nice expanded maps. My Korea TE screenshot on the first page here is 1500km. Thanks to the EAWEuro Team for making that large awsim Euro hfd file.

Greenland, Iceland, UK at 1500 SF kilometers. Imported at 26W 78N. Requires 2 GTOPO30 DEM files.

After starting Terrain Editor, File-Open the EAWEuro HFD file (not DEM file , my mistake sorry) which is a 1500km height map (although only partially used). This sets up Terrain Editor (TE) to successfully Import 1500km worth of gtopo30 data. Tiling takes a bit longer -- over twice the area to tile. The resulting map is all flyable. Flying from the south map edge to the north map edge (border set to 1000 meters in flightengine file) in FB-111A at 1000km/hr (539kts) true airspeed, it took 1.5 hours to cover the map, by the cockpit clock. Aussum!

Example 1500km TE map....using the gtopo30 E100N40 DEM download. South Vietnam on upper left, to the extreme western tip of New Guinea on the lower-center right....(true map scale is 1500nm, but is scaled down in the sim to 1500km).

Import coordinates 107E,15N ... 15N is the lowest you can go with this gtopo30 lattitude strip. Note the X=1500 and Y=1499 coordinates of mouse cursor (I had it in upper right of the blue ocean). It works!!

Problem:: I must be doing something wrong. The generated planning map1 used by Kreelin's Mission Editor is skewed horribly, but you can export the height map instead as planning map 1, resize it to 750x750 so it appears normal in the Mission Editor. But the colours (in my case at least) are a horror show, but can be changed in paint program, or the brightness decreased to make it comfortably usable within the Mission Editor.