Sign in to follow this  
ghostrider883

Pakistan's Answer to IAF's Phalcon AWACS

314oumu.jpg

m7wfpi.jpg

dxizgg.jpg

Pakistan's first of five Saab 2000-based airborne early warning and control system aircraft was rolled out at the Swedish manufacturer's Linköping facility late last month.

Equipped with a Saab Microwave Systems Erieye surveillance radar, mission system and electronic warfare equipment, the Saab Aerotech-modified aircraft will offer an unrefuelled endurance of over nine hours. "This is a vital item of equipment to maintain peace," Pakistan air force chief of staff Air Chief Marshal Tanvir Mahmood Ahmed said during a 27 March ceremony.

Pakistan in mid-2006 became the first customer to select a Saab 2000-based Erieye surveillance system, with deliveries expected from next year under a deal worth around SKr7 billion ($1.2 billion). Erieye-equipped Saab 340s are already in use by Brazil, Greece, Mexico and Sweden, with one of the type also recently ordered by Thailand.

Edited by ghostrider883

i don't understand why some aircrafts still being desgined with prop engines.. :|

i don't understand why some aircrafts still being desgined with prop engines.. :|

We have no need for your fancy pants jet engines, western infidels!!!

Propellers are still significantly more efficient than turbojets or turbofans, since its based on a civvie plane that has no need to go supersonic, turboprops are more economical

preffer mine :p

R_99_A_2.jpg

but...

they did with popelers,maybe to save fuel or a quick airbone allert system??

It depends on what you want from the flight profiles. Props advantages are longer endurance/less fuel burn. Turbojets/fans lets you go faster and higher and can prove less fatiguing to the crew, depending on the type of engine.

Besides, it's still a jet. The ONLY part that is different is the front. Instead of a prop, you put a far smaller diameter fan or series of fans inside a duct and you get more thrust for less effeciency. Piston engines are relegated to only the very small planes now, like the ones that hold 6 people max.

its a turbo prop. They are very reliable, with a prop they can change pitch on the propellers for more or less bite kinda like using a hi gear on the highway. more bite on the prop less turbine speed. Adds Bookoo time to loitering which is great for a plane like this.