Sign in to follow this  
mppd

WOV Max number of taget areas/objects?

I was talking to someone about this the other day, but could not find an answer in the Knowledge Base or on the Third Wire Forums. What is the maximum number of targetlist areas allowable, and is there a known limit as to how many objects can be permanently placed on the map? Could one place an extra hundred or so random objects say in Route Pak One to do armed recon on instead of having to place them in individual missions?

Thanks everyone,

Mike D.

I was talking to someone about this the other day, but could not find an answer in the Knowledge Base or on the Third Wire Forums. What is the maximum number of targetlist areas allowable, and is there a known limit as to how many objects can be permanently placed on the map? Could one place an extra hundred or so random objects say in Route Pak One to do armed recon on instead of having to place them in individual missions?

Thanks everyone,

Mike D.

Hi Mike, I've had some experience with this topic during development of Operation Rubicon for WOE, so I expect WOV will behave the same - see the following dialogue for details: http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5173

In summary, you need to be looking at the [ObjectGroup009] entry in ObjectsList.ini file, in the Objects folder (which you'll have to extract from ObjectData.Cat first I expect).

Regards, comrpnt (Paul).

Holy smokes! TK basically said that there is no upper limit..is that mind boggling or what?

Thanks again,

Mike

Well, I have target areas with over 350 target entries (well over 1000 lines), the DS map has 215+ target areas; I'd have assumed that 999 was the max -- that's good news from TK!

Don't forget, too, that the game engine only populates (and de-populates) the target area when the player gets within a certain distance - one which I've not figured out yet. I think it's somewhere along the lines of 25-50kms. I've actually seen this happen, most recently on the Libya rebuild.

My flight was at Titto Minnitti, and I used the free camera to run down to Sicacusa, as I was laying out the harbor installations (docks, wharfs, cranes, ships). As the aircraf was on autopilot, heading off somewheres, I was busy checking the positioning of the various items, when all the ships just "POPPED" out of existence. Going the other way, I was checking object placement at Benghazi, there were NO ships present -- which helped in placing the docks -- when they just "POPPED" back in.

This is the bit that really hurts in object placement (ie: not having a real 3d mission builder ala Fighters Anthology et al), is you have to fly your single mission over or near the target area you're working on. Otherwise, anything that uses a GroundObject, like AAA, SAMs, radars, vehicles/ships will not be there. Conversely, anything set as a terrain object; docks, buildings, flags, signs and parked aircraft (aftermarket -SF/WoV/WoE only) for the most part DO show up.

To anwer the specific question, hell yes!!!. You'd just need to create a new target area, and toss the truck/tents/whathaveyou around in the area however you'd like.

BTW, armed recon missions ONLY happen on defined 'travel routes', so you might have to create a new route, that passes by the 'suspected truck park' -- which should show up on Strike missions.

Wrench

kevin stein