Sign in to follow this  
Silverbolt

Aviation Quiz - game thread

Aim-9E is a late sidewinder than Aim-9D, but why the D version had a superior performance than E? and Why USAF didn't used the D version?

The -9D had a cooled seeker head which required a coolant supply from the launch aircraft, the USN thought this was a good idea (it is) the USAF didn't (they later changed their minds) however their aircraft weren't set up to supply coolant to the missile so they couldn't make the switch easily.

The -9D had a cooled seeker head which required a coolant supply from the launch aircraft, the USN thought this was a good idea (it is) the USAF didn't (they later changed their minds) however their aircraft weren't set up to supply coolant to the missile so they couldn't make the switch easily.

:yesmaster:

BINGO!!!! :hunter:

the LAU-7 carry 6 liters of nitrogen for the seeker cooling.

Go for it!

an Hardcore, please :biggrin:

Edited by Silverbolt

What was said to be the fastest US bomber used in WW2?

I knew reading that book about the Sidewinder would pay off one day!

What's the difference between a Pony and a Mustang?

Pony = Allison engined P-51

Mustang = Merlin engined P-51

Why do some USAF aircraft still follow the old pre-1963 designation system (like the F-111 and F-117)?

And why did they give either of those planes (and the F-105) fighter designations when they were no more air to air fighters than an A-10?

Pony = Allison engined P-51

Mustang = Merlin engined P-51

Interesting, but not the answer I was after for a hint look at the picture to the left of this.

Wasn't the Allison engine Mustangs called the Apache?

FastCargo

What was said to be the fastest US bomber used in WW2?

The Douglas A-26 Invader

Interesting, but not the answer I was after for a hint look at the picture to the left of this.

Lynx ? is that the answer you were expecting?

Or is it a Mustang in the armed sevices of any other nation other than the United States?, paricularly one in service with the RAF?

Edited by Tomcat_ace

Wasn't the Allison engine Mustangs called the Apache?

FastCargo

First variant A-36 name is Apache, During Husky operation, name was changed to Invader. But most pilots say A-36 Mustang. Of course A-36 has allison engine.

Edited by lindr2

Lynx ? is that the answer you were expecting?

No. As a clue a Lynx, Seahawk and probably a few others can be a Pony or a Mustang what's the difference?

The Douglas A-26 Invader

It sure was - congrats :ok:

Only really know about the Invader because it was used over SEA strangely enough!

Hmmm. maybe it's difference between marine and non-marine versions?

It sure was - congrats :ok:

Only really know about the Invader because it was used over SEA strangely enough!

Thanks.. which means I get to ask a question right?

Ok.. here goes...

Which WWII bomber was nicknamed the "Flying Zippo" and why?

Thanks.. which means I get to ask a question right?

Ok.. here goes...

Which WWII bomber was nicknamed the "Flying Zippo" and why?

G4M "betty" - no armor, and 6000 km radius - 4780 Lt Fuel in 8 unprotected cells...

G4M "betty" - no armor, and 6000 km radius - 4780 Lt Fuel in 8 unprotected cells...

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!!!!!!!!! :good::clapping:

OK My question: Blackbird SR-71 is WRONG name (must be RS-71), who did move letters, and why mistake was not corrected ?

OK My question: Blackbird SR-71 is WRONG name (must be RS-71), who did move letters, and why mistake was not corrected ?

It isn't wrong... SR = Strategic Reconaissance

if you're referring to reconnaisance versions of ceratain jets like the RF-4 Phantom II , RF-5 Tigereye, RF-84 Thunderflash, RB-47 Stratojet, etc, please take this into concern: The above mentioned aircraft were originally designed as either fighters (in the case of the first three mentioned above) or bombers... Reconaissance variants of these aircraft were given an 'R' prefix designation to signify that they're recon versions of dedicated fighter / bomber aircraft and lack some of the weapons / equipment / avionics of their fighting/armed counterparts ...

The Blackbird was concieved and designed as a high-speed aircraft for battlefield reconaissance right from the start.. So it's not a mistake..

Well... At least this is what I heard on the Discovery Channel aviation show "Wings".....

Edited by Tomcat_ace

Well... At least this is what I heard on the Discovery Channel aviation show "Wings".....

I heard anoter story: name was RS - Reconaissance Strategic, someone from the secretaries of president Johnson changed letters on president appearance. All heard this wrong name, and to avoid embarrassment all left as is.

I heard another story: name was RS - Reconaissance Strategic, someone from the secretaries of president Johnson changed letters on president appearance. All heard this wrong name, and to avoid embarrassment all left as is.

Didn't Curtis Le May think SR sounded better than RS so he amended the script when it was revealed to the public.

I heard anoter story: name was RS - Reconaissance Strategic, someone from the secretaries of president Johnson changed letters on president appearance. All heard this wrong name, and to avoid embarrassment all left as is.

Didn't Curtis Le May think SR sounded better than RS so he amended the script when it was revealed to the public.

Even If that was the case there's no way either Lockheed or Skunkworks would remain silent...Since it was their product they'd have decided on the name...

Edited by Tomcat_ace

The Blackbird was concieved and designed as a high-speed aircraft for battlefield reconaissance right from the start.. So it's not a mistake..

Err.. no it was a conversion of a Mach 3 interceptor known as the A-12 for strategic not battlefield reconnaissance , the recon version was to be the R-12 and in fact a lot of documents had to be changed when the announcement was made. Incidentally Lockheed have little say in the naming of their aircraft and no say in it's service designator e.g. the F-22 is called the F-22 because that was the next number in the F sequence.

I wouldn't trust Discovery implicitly one of their programmes said that WW2 Royal Navy carriers had wooden decks and US ones armoured decks which was exactly wrong.

All about the SR-71 naming

Edited by SkippyBing

For the Pony/Mustang question think more on the lines of tasking rather than who operates them.

Err.. no it was a conversion of a Mach 3 interceptor known as the A-12 for strategic not battlefield reconnaissance , the recon version was to be the R-12 and in fact a lot of documents had to be changed when the announcement was made. Incidentally Lockheed have little say in the naming of their aircraft and no say in it's service designator e.g. the F-22 is called the F-22 because that was the next number in the F sequence.

I wouldn't trust Discovery implicitly one of their programmes said that WW2 Royal Navy carriers had wooden decks and US ones armoured decks which was exactly wrong.

All about the SR-71 naming

Well.. According to the Jane's Encyclopedia of Aviation the interceptor variant of the Blackbird was called the YF-12....

wwand this project was originally called the A-11...