Sign in to follow this  

Illuminated Tracers

View File

Illuminated Tracer Smoke Emitter

by: Fubar512

Tested on every ThirdWire sim up to (and including), Wings over Israel with patch 1.

To install: Simply drop the TracerSmokeEmitter.ini file into your ThirdWire Sim's effects folder

To uninstall: Delete the TracerSmokeEmitter.ini, and the sim will revert to using its original tracer smoke emitter.

Notes:

To adjust the distance at which the tracer illuminates objects, adjust the following value

[EmitterType001]

LightRange=100.0<---ADJUST

It's in meters, I've found that a value of 100.0 meters seemed to be the best compromise in terms of realism and visibility.

Also, you'll notice that I've modified the smoke emitter itself. Tracers now leave undulating smoke rings, or "snakes" (as they're referred to by those who've been on the receiving end).

Hi!

Awesome! Was long due! I replaced the tga file with "smoke3.tga" and the graphics

are better now. Before this smoke clouds were a bit squared off.

Anyway, cudo's to you!

Awesome mod! It really looks a lot like the smoke trails from the movie Dark Blue World. Very WWII-ish.

Do you happen to know which CAT file the tracersmokeemitter.ini file resides in? I wanted to try and get the illumination effect without the prominent smoke trails.

:good:

Hi!

Awesome! Was long due! I replaced the tga file with "smoke3.tga" and the graphics

are better now. Before this smoke clouds were a bit squared off.

Anyway, cudo's to you!

Someone else had that issue, which is curious, as the effect makes a callout to a default tga file. If you experience an issue similar to mueseli's, the "Tracersmoke.tga" is located in the flightdata.cat file, and can be extracted from there and placed in the effects folder.

Awesome mod! It really looks a lot like the smoke trails from the movie Dark Blue World. Very WWII-ish.

Do you happen to know which CAT file the tracersmokeemitter.ini file resides in? I wanted to try and get the illumination effect without the prominent smoke trails.

:good:

The default tracer smoke effect is located within the particle system.ini file, which in turn is contained in the flightdata.cat.

The system reads effects files from the effects folder first. If there are no files meeting the callout data there, the game engine then uses the entries in the particlesystem.ini file.

Someone else had that issue, which is curious, as the effect makes a callout to a default tga file. If you experience an issue similar to mueseli's, the "Tracersmoke.tga" is located in the flightdata.cat file, and can be extracted from there and placed in the effects folder.

The default tracer smoke effect is located within the particle system.ini file, which in turn is contained in the flightdata.cat.

The system reads effects files from the effects folder first. If there are no files meeting the callout data there, the game engine then uses the entries in the particlesystem.ini file.

Ah... thanks. I didn't know it was hidden in another .ini file. :D