Sign in to follow this  
Mike Dora

Map Aircraft Icons

Does anyone know how to change the stock map icons from a USAS SPAD XIII and (I think) Fok DVII? With all due respect to our American cousins (and gratitude for their support.. ), the USAS really only fully participated in the air war for its last 4 months or so.. and the Fok DVII didn't arrive much earlier.

Seems to me that a Camel or an SE5a vs an Albatros would be more appropriate? Any ideas anyone?

Mike

its semi easy :wink:

drop 2 new tga files into your Flight folder

one called MAPFRIENDLYICON.TGA (Entente)

one called MAPENEMYICON.TGA (Central powers)

and they will override the defaults

these are 32x32 pixels with a transparent background (alpha channel like a decal)

at this wee scale its pretty impossible to do much more than a general colour/shape...(i doubt you would tell the difference between a SE5a and a Camel for instance...)

here's a SE5a i did very quickly for you to try (it could be better I'm afraid)MAPFRIENDLYICON.rar

That was very quick and very good - thanks!

When it comes to icons, I've had some luck creating them in a larger size and resolution, like 128 by 128, and then resizing them down to 32 by 32 by using the resizing function of my picture program. It seems to give slightly better quality to the image when I do it this way.

The resizing thing I almost never do... for skins or anything else for that matter

You can do a much better job putting pixels where they should be than any image program's scaling algorithm IMHO

A image program just averages colour blocks, it cant tell what's important and what's not in a picture

anyways I've done a few more (better i think) and uploaded them to CombatACE Forum > Downloads > Strike Fighters / Wings Over Vietnam / Wings Over Europe / Wings Over Israel / First Eagles by Thirdwire > SF/WO*/FE Maps/Terrain Mods > Planning Maps >

they won't get announced here but in the Strike Fighters section (forum idiosyncrasy)

they are quite stylised I'm afraid ...so tiny

gallery_23136_82_34782.jpg

have fun

Very nice addition to the game P10ppy. I've moved the file announcement to the FE page. As you mentioned, that is an unfortunate aspect of how the forums are set up. I try to keep an eye on the SF/WO* announcements page for FE announcements but sometimes I forget or, like last weekend, I am away from the 'puter. So if you or anyone else has a file announcement that needs to be moved just drop me a line (PM or here) and I'll move it...NP, takes about 10 seconds. :good: