Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

Speaking of fuel tanks...

Since we're on the subject of fuel tanks (nice additions to the MiG family, there lindr! good job!)

I have a "fuel tank" that I know holds 330 liters of fuel. Now, what I DON'T remember, even reaching back into my dim, dark memory recesses from Jr High and High School metrics classes (we're talking 1970s here!), is there a one-to-one correllation to weight and volume?

I have this vague memory of (something??) saying "one liter equals 1 kilogram''. We all know aviation gasoline weighs differently than water, so what WOULD be the weight in kg be of 330 liters of gas??

I've looked a the metric conversion sites, what few tables I have here, but can't find a definitive answer.

Any help would be greatly appriciated!

TIA!

Wrench

kevin stein stein

Since we're on the subject of fuel tanks (nice additions to the MiG family, there lindr! good job!)

I have a "fuel tank" that I know holds 330 liters of fuel. Now, what I DON'T remember, even reaching back into my dim, dark memory recesses from Jr High and High School metrics classes (we're talking 1970s here!), is there a one-to-one correllation to weight and volume?

I have this vague memory of (something??) saying "one liter equals 1 kilogram''. We all know aviation gasoline weighs differently than water, so what WOULD be the weight in kg be of 330 liters of gas??

I've looked a the metric conversion sites, what few tables I have here, but can't find a definitive answer.

Any help would be greatly appriciated!

TIA!

Wrench

kevin stein stein

If no one can help you just get a bucket and a scale.water may be close enough in weight to fuel.

I know only about russian aviation cerosine (T-1,TS-1,mark) 1 liter-> 0.785 Kg,

P.S. I want to make PTB-2000 FT, anyone have drawings?

In the Lynx we use a specific weight of 0.81, i.e. one litre of fuel weighs 0.81 litres of water = 0.81 kilos/litre. We burn F-34 generally but can accept a range of fuels without changing the specific weight (it goes into the tactical system so it can calculate performance figures) so I'm guessing it's a fairly safe bet for jet fuel. That means your 330 litres will weigh 267.3 KG.

WhiteKnight, 330 litres of water will weigh 330 kg (assuming it's fresh not salt) the SI system defines one kg as the mass of one litre of fresh water, one litre of salt water weighs 1.024 kg. Fuel is less dense than water, hence oil slicks floating, you'd never guess I have a degree in ship design would you!?!?

And if you havn't gotten enough info yet Wrench, JET A is roughly 6.7 LB per gallon. If you want to convert that.

Thanks guys! That's perfect!!!

whiteknight: :tongue: that would have been a last resort (but I do't have a scale -most fat people don't!!! Too scary!)

We're just speaking about old fashioned, garden variety 87 octane avgas, circa 1942 (minus the dead bugs and stuff)

So I WAS right about about the 1 liter = 1 kilogram!!! Damn, memory still works!! (for water that is!)

Now, to go off and fix those 2 tanks in the weaponsdata, and tweek the aircrafts (2) data inis....

This will give an aircraft, that already has phenomenal range for it's day, even MORE range!

WRench

kevin stein

Now, to go off and fix those 2 tanks in the weaponsdata

WRench

kevin stein

you speak about my FT? or not ? i just summ mass of fuel (volume*0.785) and empty construction mass, i thinks all right...

AvGas (100LL) = 6#'s/gal

Jet-A typically 6.7#'s/gal

JP-5 is around 6.8 #'s/gal

lindr: no, it's for the new Rufes over my head.... :haha:

rufe-1_11ku.jpg

rufe-2_14ku.jpg

rufe-3_802ku.jpg

rufe-4_902ku.jpg

The center float is a 333 lt fuel tank.

Arriving in theatre soon. Actually, as soon as I figure out the distribution....

Wrench

kevin stein

Cool! I read one GOOD books tooday, this is "guidance upon settlement of distance and duration of flight of MIG-29"

And after analising some facts i offer the next algorithm of calculation of weight of fuel tanks for Jet planes:

1) Tank volume in litres * (0.785-0.845) depending of fuel mark. this is fuel weight. For 1000 lt FT we have 785-845 Kg Fuel

2) Tank construction weight is approximately equal to 10% of fuel weight. For 1000 lt FT we have 78-84 Kg Empty FT weight.

3) Summary we have 785+78=863KG ------ 845+84=929KG FT weight.

Example: PTB-1500 -> 116KG construction weight (FT passport).