Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

Speaking of trees and such....

I'm nearing the end of a rebuild of my rebuild of the Solomons Island upgrade, and i was wondering... as I often do..

Is there anyway to add trees ala Green Hell to this terrain?? It really could use some jungle!! It'sjust sooo...EMPTY!

I know the naming conventions of the tiling is different from, say WoVs and CA_Stary's Green Hells, but is there a way to fake it, by renaming the TOD files (like can be done with the GermanyCE tiles, to add more city buidlings from Polaks tiles)

Anyone have any thoughts on this matter??? Obviously, we want to avoid an complete terrain rebuild...

Wrench

kevin stein

There is a way to do it in TE. Of course, you need the base terrain set up in TE first for modding.

Then, follow Deuce's tutorial for placement of trees using the TE interface and you can add all the trees you want to a particular tile. The new TOD file generated by TE will over-write the old one, et viola, lots of new trees on your old tile.

Watch our for the bug which causes a single object to show up at the corner of the tile when you save the tod. You have to save, delete the last object placed, and save again to remove the random object. Can look odd when you are placing buildings on port facilities - "What's that shack doing out in the water????"

I have been experimenting with this feature for my WIP custom tileset for Iceland terrain, placing buildings on new city/farm/port tiles, so it does work. If there are any trees at all on the Edward's terrain, you can just populate the tile with more of the same.

Or, we can ask CA_Stary to work his green hell magic for the pacific :wink:

There is only 1 TOD for the solomons, and I don't think its used as there are no rivers. (called BNRivrTR.tod)

Buildings I can add via the targets ini (actually, this was already done on V.1 upgrade). I actaully like that better, even though its more time consuming, I have direct control over what type of building I have in a given city.

I just want trees!!! :rofl:

Well, I've got it set up in the TE for flattening airfields, maybe I should have a go at it...shudder....

Now, to find Deuces trees tut!!

Now, if I can just figure out why all the buildings at Rekata Bay Seaplane base just jumped into the ocean ... maybe I'll just move the 'runway' inshore a little more (one of 2 operational seaplance bases - gotta have something for the {almost done} Rufe to fly from!)

Wrench

kevin stein

@Wrench, PM sent.

Cheers :good:

Wrench, I've started trees for Solomons several weeks ago, but as I'm busy with other mods, so progress currently equals zero. Of course one can take tods from Green Hell 2 and try renaming them to texturelis format used by Solomons (plus rewrite solomons_data.ini texture references), but placement won't be 100% accurate, and not so convincing. Especially on coastial tiles.

Better is to make such mod from scrath, every treemod requires other foliage graphics for better blending with terrain, or wait until I do mine. But it would take more than two weeks I'm affraid :sorry:

Thanks CA!

It's being handled even as we speak ... The Master Tree Man himself has offered to help out, and it doing his "Johnny Appleseed"* bit. I can't wait to see the results!

After I get the new bits, I'll have to go back and recheck the targets placements, but that's not big deal. Some things should be covered in trees (supply dumps, etc)

Wrench

kevin stein

*mythical American figure, for our overseas friends; legend says he walked the lenght and breadth of the cournty, planting apple trees for all to enjoy.