Sign in to follow this  

I bought WOI 2 days ago and this is myfirst attempt to Mod it, however I have been using SFP1 for many years so have some familiarity with the game structure.

Regarding the animation mod: http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=7225

It is my understanding that the following code taken from the Mirage III:

[canopy_frame_rear]

SystemType=ANIMATION

InputName=ANIMATION_1

DeploymentMethod=MANUAL

AnimationTime=6.0

AnimationID=7

is the section that allows the user to open the canopy, as such I have C&P this section from the most recent pre September patch into the Data file for the Mirage, the animation keys are assigned however the animation dosnt work. I've chosen not to compleatly replace the Data file with that in the downlaod incase there has been anything added in the September Patch. Anyone see any obvios mistakes on my part?

Also on extracting the objects Data file I discovered that unlike SFP1 the files are extraced into the objects folder rather than a weapons, decal, aircraft, ground etc folder, is there a way to exract the files automatically into said folders or has the file structure been altered for this title?

Craig

I bought WOI 2 days ago and this is myfirst attempt to Mod it, however I have been using SFP1 for many years so have some familiarity with the game structure.

Regarding the animation mod: http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=7225

It is my understanding that the following code taken from the Mirage III:

[canopy_frame_rear]

SystemType=ANIMATION

InputName=ANIMATION_1

DeploymentMethod=MANUAL

AnimationTime=6.0

AnimationID=7

is the section that allows the user to open the canopy, as such I have C&P this section from the most recent pre September patch into the Data file for the Mirage, the animation keys are assigned however the animation dosnt work. I've chosen not to compleatly replace the Data file with that in the downlaod incase there has been anything added in the September Patch. Anyone see any obvios mistakes on my part?

Also on extracting the objects Data file I discovered that unlike SFP1 the files are extraced into the objects folder rather than a weapons, decal, aircraft, ground etc folder, is there a way to exract the files automatically into said folders or has the file structure been altered for this title?

Craig

Yep,

[canopy_frame_rear] <==== must match a (SystemName[xxx]=) entry for a model part section of the data.ini

SystemType=ANIMATION

InputName=ANIMATION_1

DeploymentMethod=MANUAL

AnimationTime=6.0

AnimationID=7 <==== depends on what animation id the modeler who built the model assigned the part

EXAMPLE from the A-4E_AHIT_data.ini

[Nose]

ParentComponentName=Fuselage

ModelNodeName=Nose

DamageRating=DESTROYED

DetachWhenDestroyed=FALSE

MassFraction=0.229

HasAeroCoefficients=FALSE

MinExtentPosition= -0.50,1.38,-0.77

MaxExtentPosition= 0.50,6.16, 0.93

CollisionPoint[001]= 0.00,5.74,-0.53

CollisionPoint[002]= 0.00,3.08, 0.93

SystemName[001]=Pilot

SystemName[002]=NoseGear

SystemName[003]=Canopy <======== this must be the same =///

[Canopy] <========= as this ==========///

SystemType=ANIMATION

InputName=ANIMATION_2

DeploymentMethod=MANUAL

AnimationTime=6.0

AnimationID=5 <== this is the animation assigned to the canopy in 3DSMax for this model

heres what i have for the Mirage:

[Nose]

ParentComponentName=Fuselage

ModelNodeName=Fuselage_Front

ShowFromCockpit=FALSE

DamageRating=DESTROYED

MassFraction=0.246

HasAeroCoefficients=FALSE

MinExtentPosition=-0.44, 3.15,-0.70

MaxExtentPosition= 0.44, 7.14, 0.70

CollisionPoint[001]= 0.00, 7.12,-0.36

CollisionPoint[002]= 0.00, 4.01, 0.69

CollisionPoint[003]= 0.00, 4.95,-0.68

SystemName[001]=Pilot

SystemName[002]=NoseGear

SystemName[003]=canopy_frame_rear

[canopy_frame_rear]

SystemType=ANIMATION

InputName=ANIMATION_1

DeploymentMethod=MANUAL

AnimationTime=6.0

AnimationID=7

no luck getting it to work though, perhaps something changed through th patch?

No, you just call the new SystemName=Canopy

then the NEW system

[Canopy]

just as the Dr. showed ... use his example

don't forget to assign a key for it in the Options -> Controls -> Customize menu

Wrench

kevin stein

having looked at various models the canopy is not always reffered to as "Canopy"

A-4=Canopy

F-4=canopy_front_outer

F-15=Canopy_Rear

F-16=canopy_frame_outer

Mirage=canopy_frame_outer

Mirage5=canopy_frame_rear

Kfir=canopy_frame_rear

Mystere=canopy_hinge

having tried changing the system name and number to both match "canopy" made no difference.

Animation keys have been assigned since I set the game up after install. kinda running out of ideas now.

Craig

having looked at various models the canopy is not always reffered to as "Canopy"

Craig

This will be the same as the node name for the part so the game knows to activate that animation. Look down in the pilot entry. there will be a canopy node name listed there. Out of curiosity, exactly which Mirage III are we talking about? Is it stock Third Wire or an addon? If it's an addon it may not have an animation assigned to the canopy mesh on the model, or if it does it's not animation "7". Also anytime you make a change to a data.ini it's good practice to exit and restart the game. I've found that data.ini and some other ini changes seem to load only when you do a fresh start the game for some reason.

Edited by drdoyo

Well, I obviously don't know what to tell ya than...

Have you looked inside the LOD with a hex editor to get the exact mesh name??

Here's what we used to do; something I started 4 years ago with opening canopies.

In our example, we'll be using the ubiquitious F-4E Phantom

in the [Fuselage] section, we add a new systemname

SystemName[018]=Canopy

Then, we create the automatic speed controled device, namely, our canopy

[Canopy]

SystemType=HIGHLIFT_DEVICE

CLiftdc=0.00

DeltaStallAlpha=0.00

AreaRatio=0.00

DeploymentMethod=AUTOMATIC_SPEED

Setting[1].Angle=30.0

Setting[1].DeployValue=0.0

Setting[1].RetractValue=10.0

MaxDeflection=30.0

MinDeflection=0.0

ControlRate=1.0

AnimationID=3

Here's from the A-4E (I've renumberd this one shown, as it's really 10, from the What If WGer Skyhawk version I did a coupla years ago)

SystemName[009]=Canopy

[Canopy]

SystemType=HIGHLIFT_DEVICE

CLiftdc=0.00

DeltaStallAlpha=0.00

AreaRatio=0.00

DeploymentMethod=AUTOMATIC_SPEED

Setting[1].Angle=30.0

Setting[1].DeployValue=2.0

Setting[1].RetractValue=0.5

MaxDeflection=30.0

MinDeflection=0.0

ControlRate=0.4

AnimationID=5

and let me tell you, finding the animations IDs on the stock units, without an OUT file was a hell of a lotta work!!

You'll also note, that NOWHERE is the mesh node name listed. You didn't have use them. Back then

Like the Doctor said, a LOT of the stock models DO NOT HAVE ANY ANIMATIONS OR OTHER MOVEMENTS ASSIGNED TO THE CANOPIES -- this was ONLY usable is SF, and WOV. WoE birds (A-10 for example), and most later WoI birds MAY not have it. It saves time, which is money, for TK to spend elsewhere.

I CAN tell you, for a fact, all the SF/WoV MiGs (17,19,21) and the Su-7 can have the auto-speed type assigned as shown above. I should know -- I did 4 years ago. We moved away from that when animation key assignments started with the previous patch. Theoretically, you could possibly assign them as an 'arrestor hook', and use the H key to open and close it. Experiment with that; probably use the Phantom or Scooter or some Navy bird, and just change the node name

Something like this, borrowed from the F-4J:

SystemName[***]=Tailhook

[Tailhook]

SystemType=ARRESTER_HOOK

MaxDeflection=60.0

Retractable=TRUE

DeployTime=2.0

ModelNodeName=Canopy

AnimationID=3

//HookArmLength=2.16

//AttachmentPosition=0.0,-3.59,-0.79

Personally, I turn them off, or don't assign them. It's just really for eye candy on the parked planes. I'd rather spend the time creating more terrain eye candy.

BTW, auto high lift device seems to be working again, post-patch, as TMF's F4U-7 (albeit in desguise as an F4U-4B in Korea), uses the speed control. And it works just fine.

Wrench

kevin stein