I saw that there is now a .cat file compressor avaliable for download, and I was wondering a few things. First of all, just what is the purpose of a "security catologue" file, does it compress the files while still making them useful to the game, or is it just a way of keeping things in order? Then next thing is, can I compress other game data (weapon skins, .lods and .inis for example) into a .cat file to save space and still have the game recognise them? I am asking this because I am always looking for a way to free up a prescious couple megabytes of space on my 20-gig disk. I tried already, but it didn't work. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Bascially, it's the same thing as a Windoze .cab file. Stores critical files in a (i think) semi-compressed state, ready for instant use

The only real answer, unfortunately, is a larger drive. Have you looked at an external??? I have 180 gig that I used for off-storage that I got for about 100 bucks -- that was 2 years ago, so they may have come down since then.

And, yes you can play the game directly off it. I've not noticed any appriciable lag in loadings or 'stutters' while playing.

Seriously, it way past time to upgrade your storage! (this coming from the unemployed guy...I feel your pain for lack of money). I have one install alone that's over 20 gigs - of the 18-20 (incuding FE) on my 250 internal

Wrench

kevin stein

I have a 10 gig external salvaged from another computer that I store all my pictures, media and some programs on, but SF on it lags to the "impossible to play" state.

The reason I don't just get a cheap 100 gig external drive is because it's not worth it. It doesn't matter if I have terabytes of memory, there's only so much that this comp can do. I'm saving my money for a new comp when we finally downsize, which should be pretty soon now. And then I'm gonna splurge on WOV and WOE and all the stuff that I don't/can't have now! I'm just trying to improve the preformance to whatever I can untill I am liberated. :tongue:

I feel your pain, brother!!

You wanna feel better? When this series first came out, I was running P3, 500 mgz with (gads, I don't even remember how much HD space...I do remember it weren't much -- 40 gig? 80gig?? :dntknw: )

Ran that pig for the first 2 years WoE was out (already had SF for 2+ years) ... wanna talk about low frame rates...sometimes I was lucky to hit 40 (with clear skies, minumal graphics and no flak) When the sith started hitting the fan, I considered myself lucky to have 9 fps!! Viturally unplayable.

Yah, I know how it is!! :tumbleweed:

Wrench

kevin stein