Sign in to follow this  
Dysko

DOSBox and joysticks

I recently installed DOSBox. I have no problem with it, except when I start using the joystick.

If I use the joystick, whatever sim I use the plane pitches down and banks left. I can see this even in menus, because the mouse pointer tends to go in the upper left corner of the screen. Moving randomly the various axes, I can stop momentarily the movement towards the left part of the screen, but the pointer continues to go towards the upper part.

I tried checking the calibration, but everything seems ok. Since I use an X52, I also tried moving the slider and the rotating knobs, but nothing happened.

I tried editing the dosbox.conf, but I didn't find any option that could be of any help. And looking on the net I didn't found anybody with my problem.

I run the latest version of DOSBox on Windows XP SP3, and I never tried any older version nor any other OS, so I can't replicate the problem in different situations.

Do you know a way to fix my problems? Thanks in advance! :biggrin:

What version of DOSBox are you running? I seem to recall having difficulty with the joystick in version 0.63, but I upgraded to 0.72 and it works fine; though I haven't gotten XP to SP3 yet, I'm still running SP2.

Go to conf and try altering

timed=

can be true or false

Got that sticky stick with one setting but the problem was gone when I switched to the other.

It doesn't work I still have that problem :sorry:

just use the joystick than the DOSbox it's cool to use joystick because the common use in a plane is a joystick and me too I use it when I play or when I go to in the real sky.

I think I found a way to resolve my problem...

The X52 may have more axis than those supported by DOSBox.

I need a program that makes a sort of "virtual joystick" where I can specify which axis I want to use, but I can't find such a program on the net (if it even exists :blink: ).

Does anybody know where can I find such a program? Thanks! :smile:

I just tried D-Fend Reloaded. I think it's a really useful tool, it makes using DOSBox an hassle-free action! However, I still couldn't get the joystick to work in the right way :cray:

I also tried PPJoy, but it looks like it works only with parallel port joysticks, while I need a similar program for USB joysticks.

Did you try physicaly unplugging the joystick and removing it from windows? Also remove the game and installed it over again. Basicaly try starting everything new.

Yeah, I already tried that, it was in the readme.

I posted on the DOSBox forum, and I discovered that results may vary between games (Harrier Jump Jet works like a charm, F-15 Strike Eagle II has some minor control issues, Hind is unplayable at all). It's just a matter of trial-and-error in the joystick configuration.

Hind for Win95 works fine under XP for me.