Sign in to follow this  
Snacky

Vacation Pics- Uss Yorktown

Went to a family get together in North Carolina a couple of weeks ago and decided to take a few days to travel around. Spent a day in the Smokey Mountains and then drove down to Charleston SC and Patriots Bay to see the USS Yorktown and other ships at the museum.

Here are a few pics. I have more I will post later. The Yorktown was really nice and although smaller than Carriers I have been on in the Navy the history of this ship was something special.

Yorktown1.jpg

There was alos a Viet Nam museum setup with an authentic firebase setup complete with Hueys,etc. When you walk in you feel like your really in a camp in southeast asia.

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

This is a shot from the bow of the Yorktown on cat#2. You can still see the wood deck of the ship and its not in great shape, but they are currently trying to restore her.

53.jpg

I thought this was an actual simulator until me and the Mrs stepped inside and found out its just a movie. :( I was hoping to get some stick time too.lol

DSCN0065.jpg

Here is a view from aft of the Yorktown while we toured a USCG cutter also at the dock

DSCN0080.jpg

USS CLAMAGORE was commissioned on June 28, 1945, as the war in the Pacific was drawing to a close. Based at Charleston for much of her career, she cruised Atlantic and Mediterranean waters for nearly thirty years, including critical patrols at the height of the Cuban missile crisis in 1962. Twice modified from her original World War II configuration, Clamagore continued in service as one of the U. S. Navy's last diesel-powered submarines until decommissioned in 1975. Also the sub rests on the soft bottom and will list to one side during low tide so it makes it interesting when walking through narrow passageways and leaning off the walls.lol

DSCN0081.jpg

If you get a chance to visit Charlseton and see Patriots bay I highly recommend it. You can literally spend the whole day looking around at all the ships,aircraft, and taking the different tours. The Yorktown tours alone took 5 hours if you take all 8 of them. I think I knew more about the flight deck that the tour guide though, but since he was wearing a flight suit (didnt look a day over 22) everyone paid attention.lol I would just whisper to my wife all the stuff he got wrong.lol Cant help it, Im a stickler about it. :)

Edited by Snacky

Guest MrMudd

Very good shots, i will have to check that museum out the next time i'm in the Carolinas.

Would love to take that AH-1 Cobra home with me..lol I love Helo's B)

Its a nice place to go for the day. Not very expensive either.

Nice, I wish I could get to that side of the country to see that. This one thing SoCal lacks, too far to drive to Alameda[ I'm cheap too] :lol:

Very nice shots by the way.