Hey Russ, I've got a bit of a beam setup working, sorta:

1-4.jpg

This is the pulse length with the short tail and sort of works for slower firing weapons. If you set your lazy beams to have a slower fire rate along the line of the fighters in something like Wing Commander, this will kinda fit.

7-1.jpg

This one has a much longer tail (up to about 1 km I think), however, this one has the problem of the beam appearing through your vehicle, as opposed to emanating from it. The pulse type I showed up there ^^ is quick enough to miss, but does this too.

5-2.jpg

4-3.jpg

Plus if you change your pitch, etc, you get this:

EagleBeam.jpg

The biggest issue(s) for me has been trying to figure out how to get the tracer to appear from a sufficient distance away from the aircraft so as to give the impression of being shot from it and to a lesser degree, seeing the beam/pulse curve over distance. At least with the latter, you can fudge it and tell potential customers that is has something to do with the Coriolis effect. :smile:

If you want, I'll post the data to recreate the visuals for these when I get home. You might be able to do something with it.

maybe moving the muzzel position of the gun forward will give the impression that the tracer is coming from the plane?