Sign in to follow this  
Wraith27

Chinese Guys has smth new?

Hello Everybody!

I found this picture:

post-20260-1225287621_thumb.jpg

Anybody know what is it ??? Mean what missiles under which aircraft ???? I think that missile in center is SD-10 but I'm not sure...

I think it's supposed to be AIM-120-like, and that looks...AIM-120-like.

Well, the link I posted about the JH-7 says, the aircraft is planned to be equipped with multifunction radar, providing air-to-air combat capabalities to the aircraft. I am not saying that's 100%, but that's just what the article says. And, yes, I can read, understand and also speak Russian a little :wink:

Edited by svetlinnh

The missile in the center is a PL-12 (or SD-10 in its export version) - which is intended to be the Chinese counterpart to the AIM-120. The active radar seeker was reportedly developed with Russian assistance. There should be no surprise here. Photos of the PL-12 are pretty common. The missile has been in active duty service for some time.

The smaller missiles to either side are more interesting. This photograph first circulated back in April of this year. The missiles bear an uncanny resemblence to South Africa's R-Darter radar guided missile. It's been known for some time that South Africa was supplying technical assistance to China, and China's PL-ASR (later relabeled as the PL-13) is based heavily on South Africa's A-Darter short range, heat seeking missile. The missiles in this photo might eventually be designated as the PL-14 - that's just speculation. For now, however, this is a developmental weapon.

The airplane depicted in the picture appears to be a JH-7 (based on the wingtip rail geometry).

I'd stay tuned on this subject. China's Zhuhai Air Show is scheduled in two weeks, so you will probably be catching a glimpse of a lot of new technology in short order.

Just a quick noted on this year's Zhuhai Air Show. The show is scheduled to run from Nov 4-9 - and will mark the first air show appearance of China's J-10 fighter (being marketed overseas as the F-10). Hopefully some details on this and other Chinese weapons projects emerge from this year's trade literature:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2008-10...ent_7134832.htm

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=378...c=AIR&s=TOP