Sign in to follow this  
gillg

Tga's, bmp's and other 3 words.

Hi guys, few questions re: Tiles and terrains,

1. Looking at terrains others have made and i was wondering what is the diff between tga and bmp files?

2. What purpose do they serve and where are they used?

3. When using TE2 to mod tiles and make tileset lists, I have used the WOEtileset, does the objects get placed automatically?

4. If i tried to place objects manually using the terrain dialog box, does that negate what is already placed?

I have looked at gepards tutorial and done a search for some info but couldn't find anything specific.

Any threads out there i may have missed?

cheers guys.

.tgas have an alpha layer which is used to differentiate between the water and the coastline. I believe that Baltika wrote a tutorial somewhere on how to use them. Any tile that has water in it should be a .tga file.

I assume you probably know, but TE does not accept .tga files, so you're going to have to convert them to 256x256 .bmps.

The tilelist specifies which .tod goes with which, and AFAIK, you can only overwrite .tods, not edit them, so if you're going to edit them, back them up.

Yup, .tga tiles are your coastline tiles, as jtin says they have an alpha channel which displays the water. Here's instructions on how to make them:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showt...a+channel\

.bmp tiles are your standard terrain textures.

Using the terrain dialog box in TE creates .tod files for the specific .bmp or .tga tile you are working with, to create trees and non-targetable buildings for each tile of that type.

To create target areas with stuff you can blow up, you need to place objects by hand in the [terrain]_TARGETS.INI file. Wrench is the man to ask about that :yes:

Nice, thank you Baltika. Thats what i wanted to know. And thanks jtin for the swift reply.

Been stuffing around with TE for a while and looking into some terrains. Very time consuming tho.

Hats off to the boys who have already done it.