Sign in to follow this  
Piloto

Diaper Time!

Im guessing some of them passengers should really need one or two....i know i would. :biggrin:

Ponta Delgada Airport, Azores PT

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=25f_1227626668

Lisbon Airport, PT

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=387_1210472336

Mix Crosswinds (Wellington Airport really a bitch to land on!!! :blink: )

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f78_1184881277

I notice in most of those landing attempts that guys are not transitioning into the wing low method until damn near the flare.

I've never understood why guys wait so late. In my landings, I'm in wing low and set at 500 feet AGL, just did one the other day with direct crosswinds of 25 knots (landed so nice I could have had fries with that :biggrin: ). And this was in a 250k lbs airliner. Yes, it's more work, but you've got the proper controls already set and you don't have to put in nearly the rates of inputs at endgame.

FC

I notice in most of those landing attempts that guys are not transitioning into the wing low method until damn near the flare.

I've never understood why guys wait so late. In my landings, I'm in wing low and set at 500 feet AGL, just did one the other day with direct crosswinds of 25 knots (landed so nice I could have had fries with that :biggrin: ). And this was in a 250k lbs airliner. Yes, it's more work, but you've got the proper controls already set and you don't have to put in nearly the rates of inputs at endgame.

FC

FC

But if everyone did it like you, where would we get the great videos? :haha::tongue:

I've never landed anything near as challenging as you do FC, but I agree. I was always set up on final. Doing the Funky Chicken with the controls at the last second was not my idea, nor my instructors', of a smooth landing....

:blink:

FC

Experience speaks, but rookies become experienced how?........................................

Hey, I didn't say ALL my landings are that good...there was a little luck involved. But the principle is valid...too much guesswork to wait right til the end. I don't consider myself so good that I can do one large transition to a perfect flare. I have to have more time!

"A man has got to know his limitations" - Dirty Harry

Self induced go arounds should only have to be done in the sim... :biggrin:.

FC

Hey, I didn't say ALL my landings are that good...there was a little luck involved. But the principle is valid...too much guesswork to wait right til the end. I don't consider myself so good that I can do one large transition to a perfect flare. I have to have more time...I learned that in training.

Self induced go arounds should only have to be done in the sim... :biggrin:.

FC

Try wing-low method in a U-2.....until touchdown then immediately put the opposite wing on the ground to keep the jet from weathervaning. If you are fortunate enough to be a little heavy, the effects are not as great, but that is the good news. The bad news is that you almost always blow the windward main tire. Better option is to go somewhere else. (not an option for the airlines, though).

Hey, I didn't say ALL my landings are that good...there was a little luck involved. But the principle is valid...too much guesswork to wait right til the end. I don't consider myself so good that I can do one large transition to a perfect flare. I have to have more time!

Self induced go arounds should only have to be done in the sim... :biggrin: .

FC

blah blah Mr Perfect.... blah blah... :lol::tongue::biggrin:

I'd like to make one observation here..... wing low is not advised in a CRJ.

....... SHEEEEETMETALLLLLLL :blink:

I'd hate to be the captain in some of those videos!......

Hello Dispatch, can I speak with the maintenence controller?

Yeah, this is the Captain of 1428, we're going to need a mechanic before we can continue, and could you also send 8 ($$$$$) main tires.

Try wing-low method in a U-2.....until touchdown then immediately put the opposite wing on the ground to keep the jet from weathervaning. If you are fortunate enough to be a little heavy, the effects are not as great, but that is the good news. The bad news is that you almost always blow the windward main tire. Better option is to go somewhere else. (not an option for the airlines, though).

Actually, we always have that option (we always have to have fuel for a vaild alternate - FAA/ICAO rules) just increases the PITA factor. There was this time I diverted to Tulsa...

Ah, never mind...story for the bar.

I always wondered about that, seems like the Deuce would have a pretty low crosswind limit.

Main thing we worry about is dragging a nacelle during the wing low landing. Sometimes what happens when guys get in trouble is that they had too much of 'get-home-itis' that caused them to push harder than they should have.

I try to look at it as what's easier to justify when you're on the wrong end of the green table...burning extra gas and having late freight because you diverted early...or bending metal because you pushed too hard.

Hey, I'm not perfect...more times than I care to admit I've learned lessons due to less than spectacular decisions.

"A superior pilot uses his superior judgment to avoid situations which might call for the use of his superior skills."

Or inferior skills as the case may be...

FC