Sign in to follow this  
WDH

Just a thought...

:shok::shok: WAAAAU Man these ships are great even a Omaha Class Light Cruiser :good::good::good::good::good::good:

That's amazing colmack!

Nice work colmack. Looks like you've got the USN sorted. :yes:

Sticking with my faux ship theme, if colmack doesn't have some of the IJN, I had a little fun this afternoon and came up with a very loose interpretation of the Japanese 'Ise' class battleships. If the mod requires ships for the attacking force, let me know if this is of any use.

FauxIse.jpg

Ok, this "object", standing in for Ford Island, is the concret pad off the truck depot. I've used a Brooklyn for scale (man on man...is the scalling off in game this game or what!! or am I really that pathetic with the TE?? :dntknw: )

pearlharbor.jpg

this is sorta looking towards the Eastern (?) Loch. the CA is actually heading 270, so you an figure out the placement/heading of the 'ground_platte'

Anyway, what needed is a flat concrete slab 'object' about twice as wide and about twice as long as the rectangular part on the far left, with curved ends and such. Something that I can park the ships around, and drop some hangars and other building on to simulate Ford; it will definatly NOT be usable as an Air Station (sorry!)

Having all kinds of difficulties with Hickam; can't get any REAL airfiled to fit properly (using runway1 right now) the mountains to the north/east will make AI landings an 'interesting' experience.

Airfields placed:

Bellows

Haleiwa

Ewa

Kanehoe (that's another odd ball! using runway 2, with the 'extra' parking slot leading down to the water for seaplane ramps)

Hickam

Schofield is just a quadrangle of barrack1s right now; I keep blowing up on Bellows, so I've got the figure out what wrong with that.

There are most definately height field issues ... large humps in the water, water creeping up cliff faces, etc. I was able,however, to hand place some tiles -- this map could really use a custom set, to more match the rock colors and etc.

I'll try and have some more screenies up later... I need a break! :rolleyes:

Hinch: you know we'll take anything! Those would look good supporting the CV forces!

Wrench

kevin stein

Sticking with my faux ship theme, if colmack doesn't have some of the IJN, I had a little fun this afternoon and came up with a very loose interpretation of the Japanese 'Ise' class battleships. If the mod requires ships for the attacking force, let me know if this is of any use.

This is rolled over from another thread where I asked some old hands about the feasibility of large numbers of launchable aircraft. In a classic case of "too dumb to know better" I've started work on a Kaga as part of my 1930s ground objects effort. Working in Max, it appears that the biggest hit to the game engine will be the large number of aircraft, not the ship itself? As I am NOT a ship guy, any advice you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Kaga-2.jpg

Kaga-3.jpg

Kaga-4.jpg

Geezer,Your threads I being watching for awhile.1930 Groundobjects and those CV's look incredible!So,keep up the good work and your questions will be answered.We would love to have them of course.

If anyone is feeling burned out,please take a step back and relax.I know I am for a couple of days.RL stuff creeping up again.Need some doctor repellent!

Brady

As promised, some screenies of the terrain in development....

pearl1.jpg

P-40's scramble from Wheeler, as the enemy approaches, taking AA fire...

(still have to straighten out the barracks and lots of fine tuning, but that for later. Schofield Barracks is just off camera, to the left. Yes, those are 'liberated' GH trees)

pearl2.jpg

gunsight view of Honolulu, Pearl Harbor inlet and Hickam Field (you can see what I mean about the scaling)

Scratch one meatball!!

pearl3.jpg

you can see thing are going to get VERY crowded, VERY fast around the Peal ... there's still all the naval installation to located and place; n/e tank farm, HQ buildings, docks along the western edge by Hickam, ships at their bouys

Looking at the terrain tiles, it ALMOST seems like the rivermouth tile would be a better choice for the passage to the sea, what with it being so narrow in Real Life ™. Again, there's the tiling issuse of them being just a bit too large. More things to think about and experimentate with...i've discovered HOW to place singe tiles; the hard part is figuring out WHICH code is WHICH tile!!

Wrench

kevin stein

My father in law from Oahu (In to visit for holidays), just took a look at the work involved and says "I'm gonna have to purchase this (Thirdwire) series!".Now,that is a compliment!

Hinch: you know we'll take anything! Those would look good supporting the CV forces!

Okay! All that's needed is the set up of the main battery............. and then I'll pass this fake on.

FauxIse2-1.jpg

This is rolled over from another thread where I asked some old hands about the feasibility of large numbers of launchable aircraft. In a classic case of "too dumb to know better" I've started work on a Kaga as part of my 1930s ground objects effort. Working in Max, it appears that the biggest hit to the game engine will be the large number of aircraft, not the ship itself? As I am NOT a ship guy, any advice you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Geezer,

How many polys per plane? That's a fair number of statics on the flight deck. Perhaps you could lower the poly number for the static planes, reserving the full number for the flyable versions that magically appear at the head of the line (via the catapults).

Geezer,

How many polys per plane? That's a fair number of statics on the flight deck. Perhaps you could lower the poly number for the static planes, reserving the full number for the flyable versions that magically appear at the head of the line (via the catapults).

Good point - currently I'm using the most complex LOD 0 versions. Being highly detailed biplanes, they use a lot of polys (see below). It looks like the solution would be to use simpler LOD1 or even LOD 2 aircraft?

I have another question about AA gun mounts. Are they completely static, or should their pivots be set up so they are usable? Thanks ahead of time.

Jean.jpg

Good point - currently I'm using the most complex LOD 0 versions. Being highly detailed biplanes, they use a lot of polys (see below). It looks like the solution would be to use simpler LOD1 or even LOD 2 aircraft?

I have another question about AA gun mounts. Are they completely static, or should their pivots be set up so they are usable? Thanks ahead of time.

The carrier's AA can be made usable. And you're right; the pivots have to be set up so that they yaw properly.

Nice plane by the way. Pardon me asking, but what is it (my knowledge re. IJN biplanes is somewhat threadbare........... to say the least!)?

The carrier's AA can be made usable. And you're right; the pivots have to be set up so that they yaw properly.

Nice plane by the way. Pardon me asking, but what is it (my knowledge re. IJN biplanes is somewhat threadbare........... to say the least!)?

Thanks. The plane is the IJN's standard horizontal and torpedo bomber of the late 1930s - the Yokosuka B4Y "Jean". It was replaced by the better-known Kate around 1940.

Image2.jpg

Edited by Geezer

FauxIse.jpg

Ah ha!! I was wondering if you'd be lurking around the corner on this subject :biggrin:

Check PM dear sir.

Ah ha!! I was wondering if you'd be lurking around the corner on this subject :biggrin:

Check PM dear sir.

Very nice work MrC!!

Geezer,

Are you planning to release the 'Jean'? And with the '30's Japanese theme, do you have something in mind................. mod wise?

Very nice work MrC!!

Geezer,

Are you planning to release the 'Jean'? And with the '30's Japanese theme, do you have something in mind................. mod wise?

Definately - but it will be a while. I've learned to make 3d models, but my UV unwraps are rather ham-fisted and still have occasional distortions. So...I am learning the art by doing simpler stuff such as buildings and ground vehicles before tackling the more demanding compound curves that characterized so many 1930s aircraft. I love the wheel spats and open cockpits of the mid-30s, and an amazing variety of machines were used in the Sino-Japanese war that started in 1937 and gradually developed into WW2. :biggrin:

I have mostly completed 3D models of six aircraft used by China and Japan in the 1937 Shanghai campaign and plan on continuing through the Dutch East Indies and Burma campaigns of 1941. I suppose you could describe the theme as Wings Over Asia. Some "Darken The Skies" shots below:

IJNComposite-1.jpg

CAFComposite-1.jpg

Composite-6.jpg

You can send it me direct, if you like!

kjstein (AT) ca (DOT) rr (DOT) com

Many thanks!! just have to plot thier positions in Nagumo' Fleet...shouldn't be too hard

Wrench

kevin stein

Here are a couple of maritime oddities that might be of interest - patrol boats used on large Chinese rivers.

USS Panay (sunk by Japanese dive bombers):

Uss_panay.jpg

HMS Moth:

HMSMoth.jpg

More of WDH's thinking.....73 IJN ships alone and that's including the 6 IJN Carriers.Not to mention the 4 or 5 US Carriers outside the harbor and most of the Pacific Fleet in for refitting/repairs.Other than what Britain needed to fight the Third Reich.My question is (Not doubting anybodies ability to place them) Where and how are all this ships going to get placed?Or are they?Cool if they are all gonna be,just curious.If it's a secret,no problem.Gonna be hell getting through the flak,sweet!

Brady

USS Panay (sunk by Japanese dive bombers

Sure that's not the USS San Pablo??? I think I see Steve McQueen down near the stern.....

My question is (Not doubting anybodies ability to place them) Where and how are all this ships going to get placed? Or are they?

Nagumo's fleet couldn't be easier -- they're in the Open Sea. So all they need is a Offset= line. Now, I may add the BBs as a seperate target area, with DD and CA supporting -- just for looks mind you. Also, thanks for reminiding me there's 6 Carriers!! I guess I forgot Zuikaku and Shokaku (sp?) -- again, super easy to add. (which also means 2 more Val skin sets...sigh...)

Pearl/Ford are the biggest problems -- again, due to the scaling issue discussed in another thread. It's gonna get CROWDED!! It can't be helped; and certain things will probably wind up NOT getting placed...I think the 10/10 dock might not show up, and some of the DDs in the Eastern (?) Loch (well, nrothwest section anyway...). Getting the BBs places in the bay/cove/inlet whatever the hell it's called is just a simple matter of the offsets and headings.

What I DON'T have is Ford Island itself... there is NO possible way to place a terrain tile inside the Harbor. I still need a rectangular oval flat concrete colored "parking lot" appox 2 km long by 1.5 in width, with rounded ends, that I can drop in place of the 'ground_platte' I'm using now.

I"ll post some piccies either later tonight (can't miss the Boston Legal Series Ender!!) or tommorrow, of the progress.

In case anyone ever asks, hand tiling a terrain is a 1st Class bbbbeeee-oooyytch!!

Wrench

kevn stein

Pearl/Ford are the biggest problems -- again, due to the scaling issue discussed in another thread. It's gonna get CROWDED!! It can't be helped; and certain things will probably wind up NOT getting placed...I think the 10/10 dock might not show up, and some of the DDs in the Eastern (?) Loch (well, nrothwest section anyway...). Getting the BBs places in the bay/cove/inlet whatever the hell it's called is just a simple matter of the offsets and headings.

What I DON'T have is Ford Island itself... there is NO possible way to place a terrain tile inside the Harbor. I still need a rectangular oval flat concrete colored "parking lot" appox 2 km long by 1.5 in width, with rounded ends, that I can drop in place of the 'ground_platte' I'm using now.

Wrench

kevn stein

kevin,

Wonder if any chance, you could make ford island a model itself in the middle of the harbor but unsinkable.

Wrench,

I agree with colmack,if there's a way to build a stationary "fake" Carrier groundobject for Ford Is. NAS and can be modeled to look like a flat regional air base or a super sunken carrier.And Attach destructible objects to it such as BB row,AA,AAA,tank storage(not sure about),(blown) hangers and a/c (destroyed or not) but,with a limited operational function.Such as the surrounding land with unattached ships could provide max'ed aircover.I would suggest taking 3 or more existing carriers put them side by side,attached,with bridges/catapults removed and lower them to a water level of your liking.And have a drydock (BB Row) attached to right side.After all,the SeaBee's gotten Ford Is. NAS flat and level and this would give us the illusion of actual base.Could you see where air towers is Ford Is.?I have not seen any.

Brady

Oh!Another thing...comms (the latest is sufficient and kick a**) could inculcated to be a lot of distress calls and to sound in complete chaos with no organization until a second wave of attack.This could be a distraction for noble pilots and have the feeling of being overwhelmed.With the more experienced pilots could detect where the hot air battles,armed Recon (looking for ships)and CAS will be located.Using close air support as "what if" to any of the airfields/army/marine bases under attack by the "Braves of Iwo Jima" troops pack.Another thought for mission and campaign builders.

BTW,anybody ever tried to get a P-40 early or a P-36A up to altitude to attack bombers?Going to be awhile on the climb "up" so,have a Snickers and listen to comms blaring out.Try to fight the urge to deviate.By the time you get back to bombers,you would miss the show I would think.

Brady