Sign in to follow this  
Dave

2 ME-262's In A Day

Pretty bad a$$ to get two within a few seconds. And even better as a gunner.

Mh you have to know about some facts, the Me-262 has 4 x 30 mm guns with explosive rounds, one average hit and a B-17 goes down. But to the end of the war the fighters get airbrne with bad fuel, less than 5 shots for the cannons. Noobs had only munition for their guns and the older guys or more experianced had somteimes only 5 rounds for the 20 mm cannon and similar calibre. This is an example for a BF-109G/K in the later years!!! So imagine this flight of Me-262 "fully armed" and spiting rounds directly into the bomber.....

lucky bomber crew

Edited by 76.IAP-Blackbird

Mh you have to know about some facts, the Me-262 has 4 x 30 mm guns with explosive rounds, one average hit and a B-17 goes down. But to the end of the war the fighters get airbrne with bad fuel, less than 5 shots for the cannons. Noobs had only munition for their guns and the older guys or more experianced had somteimes only 5 rounds for the 20 mm cannon and similar calibre. This is an example for a BF-109G/K in the later years!!! So imagine this flight of Me-262 "fully armed" and spiting rounds directly into the bomber.....

lucky bomber crew

What ever the case maybe as far as the Luftwaffe goes, the 262's got pwned that day by those bomber crews. That is a fact.

lucky bomber crew

I've read more than my share of combat reports from both sides for a paper I wrote on the late-war Luftwaffe. Despite the points you brought up, shooting down two fast moving jet aircraft is still a huge accomplishment in my book.

-S

I can count the number of times I've shot down a jet as a bomber gunner in sims over the past 20 yrs on one hand. They had considerably fewer engagements under far tenser and more difficult circumstances. A very impressive feat no matter how armed or dangerous the 262s were.