Sign in to follow this  
malibu43

Migs over S. Vietnam

So, I'm pretty happy with my WOV Ground war mod that adds strikes, CAS, and Armed Recon in S. Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia to the stock WOV campaigns. However, I realized today that I'm getting Migs venturing down and interrupting my missions down south. Not a big deal in an F-4, but kinda ruins your day when you're in an A-1E.

So I want to try and fix this, but before I start driving myself crazy over this, I want to double check and see if/how far south Mig actually went. Can any experts answer this one for me?

Second, assuming the migs shouldn't be there, what creative ways can anyone think of for limiting Mig action to the North? The two things I can think of:

1) lower the max range of the migs. I don't think this one will work though, since there are airfields very close to the DMZ, so the range would have to come way down, maybe making the migs inneffective throughout the map. ???

2) create separate campaigns for the war in the south, with no enemy air units. Ehhh...

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Historically, the North Vietnamese had so few MiGs while the USAF/USN had an overwhelming number of aircraft that the MiGs were generally restricted to flying radar directed point-intercepts of vulnerable bombers attacking North Vietnam. So, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to create a separate campaign with no MiGs for South Vietnam action.

Historically, the North Vietnamese had so few MiGs while the USAF/USN had an overwhelming number of aircraft that the MiGs were generally restricted to flying radar directed point-intercepts of vulnerable bombers attacking North Vietnam. So, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to create a separate campaign with no MiGs for South Vietnam action.

Yeah, I think that will be my backup plan. However, assuming the game follows the mission radius specified in the aircraft's data.ini, I think I've got it figured out.

Only 7 migs in WOV. About 250km from the southern-most used airfield in any of the campaigns (Bac Mai) to the DMZ. Changed the radius for those seven aircraft to 200km. So we'll see how it goes...

Actually, since I'm at it. What is the furthest south I should have the migs go? Couldn't find any references on the internet.

Thanks!

Edited by malibu43

Maybe changing the MiG's missions to 100 percent "Intercept" in the Campaign Data file...get rid of any other mission types. I'm not sure if this would work, since I don't know what the "radius" for the intercept parameters are.

Maybe changing the MiG's missions to 100 percent "Intercept" in the Campaign Data file...get rid of any other mission types. I'm not sure if this would work, since I don't know what the "radius" for the intercept parameters are.

Well, there are strikes in S. Vietnam, so the MiG's will still intercept for those.

Changing the radius to 200 seems to have worked pretty well. No MiG's south of Vinh. I've had some interesting issues now with typically A/A units (F-8E units) getting lots of strikes. Still working on tweaking so that that doesn't happen...