Sign in to follow this  
Fubar512

MiG-21MF Flight Model V1208

View File

This represents a minor tweak of the default ThirdWire MiG-21MF flight model. I've found the lastest version to be quite accepatable as an AI-only model, and therefore limited any changes to areas that were just a tad-short on realism from a player's perspective.

A big "Thank You" goes out to Jug, for providing feedback and helping me debug the FM.

Enjoy!

Click here to download this file

looking forward to this, having just read "Red Eagles", the FM on the -21 was quite a bit off...no one's fault as who had experience with the model? Now we have unclass first person source documents telling us exactly how the -21 could perform.

looking forward to this, having just read "Red Eagles", the FM on the -21 was quite a bit off...no one's fault as who had experience with the model? Now we have unclass first person source documents telling us exactly how the -21 could perform.

The Fishbeds were allegedly dangerous to fly at high AoAs and low air speeds, as they give virtually no warning that they're starting to stall. This is due to its delta wing configuration (though, being a tailed-delta, it was easier to recover from a full-on stall, than say, a Mirage or a 'Deuce) The IAF lost a few birds because of that trait.

In short, you have to keep an eye on the AoA guage, when flying a '21. In real life, there's practically no stall buffet, which is why I remarked out the stall sound in the FM.

Further reading, go through all the replies, I especially enjoyed the one from a former deuce driver: http://www.usenet.com/newsgroups/sci.aeron...s/msg00002.html

I obviously have not flown a -21...but the book makes several references to "nothing could fly slower" and "treeing an F-14"...the contributors speak of nose authority even down to 70 knots...

every airplane is dangerous...its how one uses it that makes the difference.

I also enjoyed the discussion of the -23 and how much they hated it...

I obviously have not flown a -21...but the book makes several references to "nothing could fly slower" and "treeing an F-14"...the contributors speak of nose authority even down to 70 knots...

every airplane is dangerous...its how one uses it that makes the difference.

I also enjoyed the discussion of the -23 and how much they hated it...

Well, Snort flew the Tomcat slower than the MiG for the guns kill using the "Big Boys" (ie he deployed the flaps, and flew at <70kts to gun track the MiG from 6-o'clock) which really illustrates your second point "its how one uses it that makes the difference". It seems like our Red Eagle pilots had an easy enough time flying the -21 down at incredably low speeds and at high AOA, but then these were some of the best guys available to the USAF, USN (including "Heater" Heatley) and USMC. Different pilots in the same planes yielded different results, like the "treeing" of both the F-14 and -15.

On topic: Downloading FM tweak, will have to check it out a bit later.

Further reading, Have Doughnut evaluation (MiG-21F13), set up as a web-based presentation. Nose gear rotation speed is listed as 110 KIAS, aircraft was capable of some "maneuvering" down to 114 KIAS.

*Note* Low-level Mach limit mentioned in this eval does not apply to '21MF or later variants

http://area51specialprojects.com/video/hav...ut_tactical.swf