Sign in to follow this  
DoctorQuest

SFP and WOI terrains in FE

Ok. I am really sorry if I missed this somewhere...........

Just for giggles after the recent patches I tried putting the WOI and SFP terrains into FE (mainly due to my reading about the Anglo-Turkish war of 1918).

They seem to work where I did not think they did pre-patch.

Whether I work on a Anglo-Turkish campaign is another issue.

The rather huge task would be converting all the "modern" aspects of the terrains to the WWI era. It would require a lot of research and likely new building objects...or at least some repaints of existing ones. :dntknw:

The rather huge task would be converting all the "modern" aspects of the terrains to the WWI era. It would require a lot of research and likely new building objects...or at least some repaints of existing ones. :dntknw:

Thats what stopped me from doing it.While I would be the first in line for a WWI mideast or Italian/Austrian terrain it's just so much work.

Actually, you could easily bring the FE terrain object over into an imported terrain. You'd just need to extract ALL the terrain objects (lods, bmps, tga and inis) from the Desert, or GermanyCE or VietnamSEA cats, do a copy/paste from the relevant ***_Types.ini; ie from FE into the imported one-- not to forget FE ground objects listings!!! -- and go fly.

BUT...(you knew THAT was coming...)

You'd need to make all the changes in the ***_targets.ini of the imported terrain which is again, just a simple copy/paste. Time consuming? sure, but not any more so than any other terrain mod

Doable? Oh, helll yes!!!! :biggrin:

You could even extract the FE airfield lod and bmp, and use those to replace the 'modern' paved runways. The stock runway3 is already a dirt strip...so shouldn't pose any problems.

Wrench

kevin stein

Yes its doable but I'm not sure a lot of the French style buildings in FE would pass for Middle Eastern types of the period. The flat roofed "houses" scattered throughout FE would work but I think a lot of the others would look out of place. Maybe some of the objects from WOI and the WOI terrain could be used. Palestine and the Suez would be the best place to start. Cities would have to be downsized, some removed entirely... I admit I haven't really looked into it that closely.