Sign in to follow this  
KingLear

F-100 vs MiG-17 strategy

MiG-17s are all but uncontrollable above 450-475 KIAS. Their unboosted controls suffered lock ups in the pitch axis, and they went into a wing-warp induced dutch roll above that speed. The '17 also had a roll-rate that was inferior to even an A-6 Intruder.

In one notable Vietnam dogfight, an A-6 driver managed to setup a -17 for a kill by going full throttle and outrolling the MIG whenever it was in a position to fire. The A-6 finally got a break call and the MIG couldn't follow because of it's stiff high speed controls.

An F-4 smoked the MIG a few seconds later.

Edited by Lt. James Cater

Check out this link from the knowledge base: http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=8786

Scroll way down on Charles SFP1 editing notes and find out something interesting about the F-100 data.ini file. F-100 'Slat deploy speeds'.

If you haven't done so, try it.

P.S. The tactics to use are still what everybody has been saying.

Edited by ezlead

I have actually had alot of success is the F-100 in the early campaign in WOE. But, as mentioned here, my tactics are to stay fast, thry to attack from above, and not turn. On one mission, I attacked an element (pair) of 17's from the high 4-o-clock position. B model winders are useless at this angle so I went to guns. I killed both in one pass, but only after missing on my first pass and rolling back into the target. This was not an effort to turn with the 17, but I saw no defensive maneuvers on their part so I knew it was safe to bleed a little airspeed to make another attack. Over all, I like the hun, it can do the job of a fighter very well when handled properly.

Check out this link from the knowledge base: http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=8786

Scroll way down on Charles SFP1 editing notes and find out something interesting about the F-100 data.ini file. F-100 'Slat deploy speeds'.

If you haven't done so, try it.

P.S. The tactics to use are still what everybody has been saying.

Is this change for real? or a hack to improve the enjoyment of the game?