Sign in to follow this  
Spinners

[Fictional] Mikoyan-Gurevich-Hawker Falchion F.Mk1 for SF2

[Fictional] Mikoyan-Gurevich-Hawker Falchion F.Mk1 for SF2

Mikoyan-Gurevich-Hawker Falchion F.Mk1 for STRIKE FIGHTERS 2

This is a very simple mod of the stock Third Wire MiG-15 to create a fictional licence-built MiG-15 in service with the British Peoples' Republic Air Force as the Falchion F.Mk1. I'm delighted to use Stary's new MiG-15 cockpit in this little bit of fluff and nonsense. Please note that this mod requires you to have Expansion Packs 1 and 2 as the MiG-15 was 'bonus content' if you had both but you could quickly juggle things around to use the MiG-15bis if you've only got Expansion Pack 1.

INSTRUCTIONS

1. From the AIRCRAFT folder drag and drop the Falchion folder into your Aircraft folder.

2. From the DECALS folder drag and drop the Falchion folder into your main Decals folder.

CREDITS

Thanks to Third Wire for the continuous improvement of a great little game/sim.

And thanks to everyone in the wider Third Wire community.

Regards

Spinners

Version 2 - 14/09/13

Version 1 - 07/03/09

Thanks, real nice. But I wanted it for WoE. Will it still work? :dntknw:

Apparently not....

after a half hour of editing files; I'd thought it was just a simple matter of moving the decals folder up on level, into the main /FalchionF1 folder, and adjusting the pointers as we've been doing for the last 5 or 6 years....

Which is damn odd, as the stock MiG-15 works perfecly well in WoE....and all the inis appear "all correct and accounted for"

The aircraft does NOT appear in the drop down listing

See the accompanying screenies...

shot 1 is my folder tree, with the newly moved decals folder

shot 2 is showing the in-game aircraft selection menu, and the red arrow is pointing to WHERE the Falchion should appear in the listing, as it's alphabetical

This brings up a REALLLY important burr that's been under my saddle for while...

ALL AIRCRAFT MODS SHOULD; NO, MUST BE TESTED IN AS MANY VERSIONS OF THE GAME AS THE MODDER POSSESES!!!

If you don't have one versioin, find someone that does. There are PLENTY of folks willing to test something to see if it works.

This now, becomes a rather unfortunate loss to those of us that have no desire to move "up" to SF2 when all the others are working just fine, thank you, in XP. (money issue not withstanding for us unemployed folks :sorry: )

I'd like to see this "What If" bird in my stable ... until Julhelm took The Crown, I was the King of What If. :wink: Spinners and I seem to be running neck and neck for the "Chief Accolyte" position :haha:

I'd like to make a reccomendation of suggestion that these wonderful, imaginative mods DO be tested in SF/SFG/WoV/WoE/WoI as well as SF2.

That would have the effect of

1) upping the download count TREMENDOUSLY

2) inspire more modders to 'take a chance'

3) increase the General Interest ™ in the 3rd Wire series. which means

4) TK sells more copies, gets more money, and improves the series.

Because, simply put....I WANT THE DAMN THING!!!! :rofl:

with respect, of course :yes:

Wrench

kevin stein

EDIT: if my words seem harsh, NO offense was intended...after all, Spinners DID declare right at the get-go that is ONLY for SF2. Which is how he set it up. Maybe, if we ask real nice, he'll do a WoE-ish one :biggrin: But it's a bit odd how everything looks exactly the same for WoE....

Most odd.

I haven't got WOE installed at the moment but there really isn't any reason why it shouldn't fire up is there?

Could be that you need to simply copy and insert the true WOE Hunter Cockpit folder to replace the folder in my version. The folder I've used has the A-4B sight in it which I don't think is in WOE.

All the A-4 stuff (B,C,E,F) is in the WoE objects cat. I'll switch over to the WoE hunter pit, and see what happens

(btw, why didn't you use my RAF Mk.3 'Ace Maker" gunsight tga??? It should be in some of the Spitfire mods.. :wink: )

Then, I'll see whats what with the decals. Using them as a main subfolder (like in the screenie above) has always worked before. In fact, that's how I doing ErikGen Honduran Sa'ar -- since both skins use the same decals.

and thanks!

wrench

kevin stein

Curiously, the Mig-15bis uses the A-4b pit but the MiG-15bis cockpit folder simply contains the A-4b_sight.tga.

Putting that in the Falchion and altering the .ini to read

CockpitDataFile=A-4B_cockpit.ini

still doesn't make it work :dntknw: .

There must be something in my Falchion download that is in unicode perhaps?

How odd is this!!??? :dntknw:

Wonder, what about switching over to Ordway's pit. It'll be in russian....

Well, I needed a break for my 'secret aircraft project' (that needs more ini work than I can do), and the Central America stuff...gives me something new to do today

I'll start with a 'fresh' Fagot, edit the existing inis to match the SF2 units, and see what develops....once the aircraft shows up, THEN, I'll start dealing with skins and decals...

Oi!!! :rofl:

Wrench

kevin stein

Cracked it! The ini's need to be saved as ANSI format.

Yup, ALL the inis had to be rebuilt..

Every

Single

One

I think THIS is the way to go...build the mod on the older versions, and then import for testing into the Newer versions. As the older stuff seems to work fairly well, it will open a whole new door

heres's some screenies (had a power failure and had to wait to get things back up)

Using ordway's mig-15 pit, western weapons, etc (meaning the UK has gone metric 40-odd years early)

There are still some flaws in the physical model (i've been discovering this of late with a lot of pasko's early stuff - missing bits in the lod, things NOT visible; using the OpenCockpit=TRUE line opens a wealth of possibilities for this aircraft in particular, but will need extensive testing to position the cockpit properly so make it fit the existing aircraft lod's canopy framing and etc)

I've redone a few things, added the squadon patches for the paint chips, 300 gallon slipper tanks, edited the decals inis, etc

You want to review the package? I still need to do up a readme..

Wrench

kevin stein

I thought I'd solved the problem about porting over the older Third Wire stuff into SF2 by converting the ini's into unicode and tried the WOE Harrier GR.1 as my guinea pig but no joy. Even worse, it caused a total system crash (not a CTD - a complete lock-up).

ok, i'm not really clear on this.....

meaning SF2 HAS to have unicode inis? I thought it read the older ANSI style with no problem (from what little I've been following the threads), hence the importation of older mods being fairly easy...

at worst, this version will be for the others (SF/SFG/WoV/WoE/WoI); if that's ok with you

let me do up the readme, and I'll shoot you a link for the package for you to review and test. hopefully, later today or early tommorrow

wrench

kevin stein

meaning SF2 HAS to have unicode inis?

No, that can't be the case as older mods seem to work very well as long as they are not calling for something not installed.

It seems certain that SF2 operating in Vista converts ANSI to Unicode so that my 'conversion' would not operate in WOE even on my Vista PC.

Interestingly, only the main ini had to be converted back to ANSI. I seem to remember that all the other ini's (data, loading, cockpit) were still in ANSI.

To recap, to get the Falchion to work in WOE I just opened up the ini's and saved as ANSI.