Sign in to follow this  
Schlissefahrt

Interesting problem

So lately when flying I have been getting dumped to the OFF manager screen. At first I figured it was due to an overheating graphics card as was discussed in a previous topic, so I usually took breaks between missions to let it cool down. Once or twice it happened on a mission when I hit the "M" key for map. Just a couple minutes ago I was doing a scramble mission in which I downed two E.IIIs and was so stoked when the furball was over that I went to check my map in order to get back home, and to my surprise I was suddenly staring at the OFF manager screen as if nothing had happened and I went back in time. Not sure if this could also relate to an overheating card, due to the fact that I had just started the mission not but 5 minutes before I hit the map key, and I haven't played OFF all day? Maybe this is some other type of issue? I guess I could try to uninstall and reinstall, but in my experience, problems like this with games tend to not fix themselves. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

So lately when flying I have been getting dumped to the OFF manager screen. At first I figured it was due to an overheating graphics card as was discussed in a previous topic, so I usually took breaks between missions to let it cool down. Once or twice it happened on a mission when I hit the "M" key for map. Just a couple minutes ago I was doing a scramble mission in which I downed two E.IIIs and was so stoked when the furball was over that I went to check my map in order to get back home, and to my surprise I was suddenly staring at the OFF manager screen as if nothing had happened and I went back in time. Not sure if this could also relate to an overheating card, due to the fact that I had just started the mission not but 5 minutes before I hit the map key, and I haven't played OFF all day? Maybe this is some other type of issue? I guess I could try to uninstall and reinstall, but in my experience, problems like this with games tend to not fix themselves. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

I sounds like you are really taxing the heck out of your PC. What are your slider settings. Believe it or not, OFF runs better with the display setting maxed out as much as possible. So turn down the detail and turn up the resolution.

OvS

I sounds like you are really taxing the heck out of your PC. What are your slider settings. Believe it or not, OFF runs better with the display setting maxed out as much as possible. So turn down the detail and turn up the resolution.

OvS

My system is:

Athlon X2 6000+ 3.0 ghz

3 GB of RAM (Corsair XMS if it matters)

EVGA 8800GTS 640 MB Vid Card

I have the sliders on all 4 except for scenery which is 3. Also, I run it at 1600x1200 resolution, with 2x anti-aliasing. I am not sure if this is "taxing" this machine, but I would guess that it wouldn't. However, you are the expert, I'm just the sim junkie :P Thanks for the response OvS

Try terrain on 3 too. Something is overcooking :). It's about the terrain detail and scenery, textures etc. Lowering the slider some may help.

Try terrain on 3 too. Something is overcooking :). It's about the terrain detail and scenery, textures etc. Lowering the slider some may help.

Its just interesting that this is happening with such a smoothly running game. In my experience games that tend to overheat are the ones that struggle at the higher graphics settings. With OFF, I have the settings high, and it runs smooth as a baby's bottom, but then inexplicably, it just dumps back to the OFF manager. Ill try the sliders lower though, maybe even try upping the res a bit too, as per OvS's statement, Thanks!

Well, I set the terrain back to 3 as well, and also maxed out my resolution to the most allowed by my card. I just flew an 82 minute mission that felt slightly smoother than usual in terms of graphical performance and the problem did not occur. However, I cannot settle that it is fixed yet, I've had full missions before the problem happened too. I'll keep flying and hopefully it will be smooth sailing from here on out.

OK great, just our recommendations based on years working on OFF, it may look smooth, but the GPU and CPU is working hard. So less strain means they cope better with long flights.

Well, I'll file this one away as me just being greedy, but I was just flying a mission and saw something in the distance that I was curious about, and after about 5 taps of the "]" key, I got booted to the OFF manager again :P. At least this time it seemed provoked, before it would just happen when it damn well pleased. I'll keep at it, and also use the utility that Bigstank was talking about in another thread.