Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

Do you fly Fighters or Bombers in Campaign?

i would try to have a typical german flight career. starting as franz or emil and later becoming a fighterpilot. i red some doing that in BHAH. how can i manage that? as long as i know there is not transfer option.

Hey Creaghorn, This is how I do it.

Go to the OBD Software file (or wharever BHAH installed on your machine) and go to, Campaigns/Campaign Data/Pilots and then find the Pilot dossier that you wish to move from bombers to scouts or vice versa. Edit the third line down and put in the squadron you wish to transfer to...exactly the way it appears in the campaign manager.

You may have to enter and exit the Campaign Manager once or twice to make it take effect.

HTH. If something goes haywire please dont pin it on me. lol.

Devs: If you want me to take this down and send it to Creaghorn via PM just let me know.

How do I upload a pic so that you dont have to d/l and just click on it? Sorry first picture post.

Edited by Rooster89

Hi All

Just interested to know how many Bomber Pilots are out there

F8 switches over the the gunner position

F6 will cycle through Pilot view, Iron Sight view, Compass view, etc in the pilot's seat

F9 is bomb/ordnance view

before I switch over to the gunner position I always enter the command CTRL + SHIFT + A to get some sort of autopilot working. since the game doesn't like it when my plane's on auto-pilot I usually acquire the target with the Tactical Display and take a few shots at personally and THEN switch back to the pilot's seat. usually, if all goes well, the AI will control the gunner's position while I try to manuever for a good 'killing position'.

some planes fly quite decently on auto-pilot, but others are simply incorrigible and nose-up or down and make it impossible to aim!

historically, most bomber pilots would first determine the direction of the wind and then fly directly with or against the wind to remove any wind-drift to one side or another. since OFF actually models wind this would make bombing pretty difficult at high altitude.

I'll admit that I usually only try bombing at exceptionally low altitudes. for a Schlasta pilot, however, this would be pretty normal. wouldn't recommend doing that with the BE2c with all of those 25 pound Coopers bombs! :blink:

generally speaking, in the Great War, people had to get below 5,000 feet to have any certainty of getting close to the target. and for people who REALLY wanted to hit the target-- 1,000 feet seems to have be the upper limit.

one American observed that the French and the British needed 60 bombers or more over a target to have any chance of actually scoring a hit! that's right, a SINGLE HIT, from altitude.

so far as dive-bombing is concerned, most planes simply couldn't do it. I've heard rumors that Sopwith Camel pilots experimented with it, and that some of the Schlasta pilots might have done it as well... but for a lot of these planes, diving was a method of last resort.

I try to alternate between fighters and bombers. I just now got BHAH this last weekend--so it's a learning experience.

Don't choose "fast reply" but "reply". Then, below your text window, you find "manage current attachments".

Max. single upload size: 3 MB.

Cheers, Rooster. Olham

Well, if Herr Kurtz's estimates for bombing altitudes are historically correct (which I trust they are), then I'm definitely also bombing, as he says, at "exceptionally low altitudes." I suspect I've never been above 100 ft in a bombing run. In fact, I always worry about being caught in the blast. I can't imagine trying to bomb at 1000 ft.

Hey Creaghorn, This is how I do it.

Go to the OBD Software file (or wharever BHAH installed on your machine) and go to, Campaigns/Campaign Data/Pilots and then find the Pilot dossier that you wish to move from bombers to scouts or vice versa. Edit the third line down and put in the squadron you wish to transfer to...exactly the way it appears in the campaign manager.

You may have to enter and exit the Campaign Manager once or twice to make it take effect.

HTH. If something goes haywire please dont pin it on me. lol.

Devs: If you want me to take this down and send it to Creaghorn via PM just let me know.

How do I upload a pic so that you dont have to d/l and just click on it? Sorry first picture post.

hey wow, thank you very much. as soon as i have buried my current pilot, i'll try it. thank you.