Sign in to follow this  
Red-Dog

Who knows why ?

A bit of a brain tester..

Who knows why Ferrari and Porsche have the same horse on their badges?

I'll post the answer tomorrow.

Can I take a stab? Is it because both founders of both manufacturers had relatives that served in the Italian 76a Squadriglie? The horse was 76a's insignia.

-Rooster

Can I take a stab? Is it because both founders of both manufacturers had relatives that served in the Italian 76a Squadriglie? The horse was 76a's insignia.

-Rooster

Well done Rooster...

Francesco Baracca farther gave Enzo Ferrari the Cavallino Rampante off the plane he flew.It is said that baracca's sqd had taken this off a german aircraft shot down early in the war.The horse is the coat of arms of Stuttgart the home of porsche... small world. :clapping:

Actually,IRC, it was Maj. Barraca's personal emblem in the Italian Air Force then adopted by Ferrari. Don't know about Porsche.

Cool. What do I win? lol. Maybe we should have an ongoing "Mystery" thread (like the Breguet ones over at TheAerodrome), with difficult questions and quirky "name the plane" pictures? Whoever gets the correct, or closest answer wins and posts the next question/picture. Anyone second this idea? If so I can get one up later tonight.

-Rooster

Edited by Rooster89

Go for it Rooster it sounds like a great idea.... :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Yes, good idea. I don't know any contribution I could make, but I'll join in for the guessing.

Baracca with his SpadVII

francesco_baracca_spadvii.jpg

And..

A few shots of Baracca's N17.. P4?.. "Beyond Heaven, South of Hell"

Baracca_5.jpg

Baracca_2.jpg

Baracca_1.jpg

A bit of a brain tester..

Who knows why Ferrari and Porsche have the same horse on their badges?

I'll answer your question with these: Enzo and his old childhood buddy were discussing their 'prancing horse' emblems but there was a problem. They couldn't have the same emblem. Who was the childhood buddy, what did he manufacture and what did they 'do' to the emblem to make it unique to each? (Also, F. Porsche designed these 'things' for the war effort and most so-called Porsche purists don't have a clue what 'they' were but I bet many of our beloved OFF members know. I posted this info in a Porsche newsletter a few years back. Do ya know?) [stuttgardt= stud farm, Porsche uses antelope rack with 4 tines- repro badges had 3 tines for a while]

Edited by Boxkite