Sign in to follow this  
Davy TASB

FAO UK OFF'ers - TIMEWATCH SAT 21st BBC2 8.00pm

Thanks Pol. At least we can have a taste of the show eh?

-Rooster

The irony of that is, of course, that Mannock became CO of 85 Squadron in July '18. I wonder if 'someone had a word'.

If I understood the programme correctly, Mannock did NOT become the CO of 85

Squadron. The programme stated that he was intended to be, but they rejected him because of his background.

He was posted to CO of another squadron instead. That attitude, and thus non appointment as CO, of the 85 squadron is what our comments are about. :)

If I understood the programme correctly, Mannock did NOT become the CO of 85

Squadron. The programme stated that he was intended to be, but they rejected him because of his background.

He was posted to CO of another squadron instead. That attitude, and thus non appointment as CO, of the 85 squadron is what our comments are about. :)

It was McCudden that No. 85 Squadron rejected. According to the programme... because he hadn't attended public school. Mannock was of equally if not more humble origins but he became CO of 85 Squadron on 3rd July 1918, six days before McCudden's death, hence the irony.

[Assuming the details at The Aerodrome et al. are correct.]

I WATCHED IT MYSELF AND IT WAS A VERY GOOD AND INTERESTING DOCUMENTARY , IT WAS SUCH A SHAME THAT THEIR VALIANT SKILLS AND EXTROARDINARY NUMBER OF KILLS THAT THEY SHOULD HAVE HAD A TRAGIC END.

GARY KIDMAN

Even more upsetting than the snobbery of 85 sqd, is the fact that Mannock is in a hole in the ground, unrecognised by our government.

That is quite clearly Mannocks grave from what I saw last night, and he should have his name, and VC symbol on the headstone!

As the Officer said on the day of the funeral, the bloody Red Baron got a better send off by the Brits than our own lads!... an absolute disgrace imho!

(No wonder the German's lost the war though!..They couldn't even get the Burial spot correct, let alone their Archie!!)

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

I don't see why the can't disinter the body and do a DNA check, there must be members of the family line in existence.

Usual British establishment incompetance.

I was interest by the damage issues - sort of topical too.

The 303 rounds didn't start fires unless they hit the fuel or oil tanks. Pilots tried to kill the pilot or 'saw' each others aircraft with rounds fired to cause structural damage. It would seem this was more effective than going for the fuel?? - Can that be right? :dntknw:

I know Mick Mannock met his nightmare in death in flames, but I wonder how frequently planes went on fire.

With regards to 85 squadron, it is a disgrace, but that was the way back then, and still is in some quarters though much less brazen. The 'priviledged elite' were still dying in their thousands besides their fellow men. Despite the slap in the face, at least Mannock was spared the chore of leading a bunch of 'hooray hendry's' into battle.

Things were different after the war. In some ways it was a great leveller. Fighting men wouldn't go back to the subservient livestyles they'd left. The massive country estates became a shadow of their former selves, many beginning to fail and fall into disrepair. If we think privedge and elitism is an issue today, just imagine what it was like before the Great War.

It was McCudden that No. 85 Squadron rejected. According to the programme... because he hadn't attended public school. Mannock was of equally if not more humble origins but he became CO of 85 Squadron on 3rd July 1918, six days before McCudden's death, hence the irony.

[Assuming the details at The Aerodrome et al. are correct.]

MY Apologies,- I failed to read your post correctly. I assumed you had said McCudden. They say that assumption is the mother of all cock ups, and I've just proved that.

cheers