Sign in to follow this  
Hiccup

Any future cloud fix coming?

I know that this is a CFS3 thing and I really love this sim but is there an up-coming fix or work-around for the clouds? I'm getting killed way to many times from the clouds. I'm flying in Dec of 1917 and about every flight there are cumulis clouds so either I have to fly low (2000 ft or less) under them or over (10,000 ft.) to get above them. Since I'm am not the flight leader most of the time I have to fly solo because the rest of the flight are flying through the clouds. I have been able to at times reduce my speed and was able to pass through to the other side of the cloud but most of the times not. I read once from another post about "Don't fly through them!" but this really takes away from the realism (Not to mention the beautiful scenery ) but can be a pain in the buttox. Aside from that this is truley a remarkable sim, very well done. :ok:

Thanks,

Strange, I don't ever seem to recall having a problem flying through the clouds, but then I don't do it THAT often. Maybe it's totally unrelated, but do you have Clouds set on "1" in the detail setting? I hear having it set higher doesn't do anything but kill frame rates.

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

Hi Hellshade, I have Clouds set to "5", funny, I get better frame rates at 5 then on 1. I tell you, on 5 there are some very fantastic eye candy with the clouds, really adds demension when flying.

Hi Hellshade, I have Clouds set to "5", funny, I get better frame rates at 5 then on 1. I tell you, on 5 there are some very fantastic eye candy with the clouds, really adds demension when flying.

Yes, this is true. As Winder once put it, changing the clouds setting doesn't help the FPS at all. So you can leave them on high.

We have been looking into it but not found a way to disable the turbulence so far.

Turbulence is definitely related to wind speed at the start of the mission. My rule is, NEVER fly through clouds if the wind speed at the start of the mission is above 5. I was trying to chase down some aircraft at a higher altitude but had to go through some clouds to get there. The wind was listed at 9. When I entered the cloud, I was around 9,000 ft. By the time I exited the cloud (unwillingly), my airspeed was almost 200 mph and I had lost 2,500 ft.

I'll have to do more flying to see if I can fly through clouds at wind speeds less than 5.

Good tips Herr Prop-Wasche. It was something pilots would avoid for sure - good in an emergency to escape or hide, but bad as a general day to day choice. You could for real end up flipped or disorientated or worse.

Yes, this is true. As Winder once put it, changing the clouds setting doesn't help the FPS at all. So you can leave them on high.

This is a little confusing, because everything I have ever seen in the past regarding the cloud setting has been to set it to 1 or 2.

Are there any reasons NOT to set clouds to 5 if you have a system that supports the setting?

This is a little confusing, because everything I have ever seen in the past regarding the cloud setting has been to set it to 1 or 2.

Are there any reasons NOT to set clouds to 5 if you have a system that supports the setting?

No. I think we all assumed that, but OFF's specific clouds won't hurt being on 5. I keep them on 1 anyway... they look fine. I'm lazy, so I keep forgetting to boost them up. But from what I remember, I did not see much difference between 1 and 5. Try it.

OvS