Sign in to follow this  
Jammer28

Charles Nungesser

I have always been fascinated with this man ever since I read about him in high school. I wish Hollywood would make a movie about him. They wouldn’t need to make up or embellish anything about him. The youtube video and wikipedia entry just scratch the surface of his many exploits.

One that I remember reading (to the best of my memory) was that he buzzed a local village and was chewed out by his C.O., “Why are you scaring your own countrymen when you should be buzzing the hun?” Nungesser got in his plane, flew across the front lines and buzzed a German aerodrome. Upon returning he stood in front of his C.O., saluted and said, “It is done mon capitaine!” 

Just wondering. Does anybody fly in the French Escadrilles?

Great War In The Air - 215 Charles Nungesser

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b0UEUeuhDY

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Nungesser

Jammer28, Nungesser is one of my fav WW1 aces. I have flown with the French escadrilles many times in RB3D and now in BHaH. I love flying the Nieups and even lasted about 12 hours in N.65 with Charles before I was knocked down by a brace of Hun scouts.

Cheers!

Lou

Xavier Jouve has just done his AceKill list for OFF, should be available soon!

Cheers,

shredward

Xavier Jouve has just done his AceKill list for OFF, should be available soon!

Cheers,

shredward

I've enjoyed re-reading books (Jullian's in particular) about him. ;) It's amazing how many fights Nungesser has got single-handed against multiple opponents:

Here are two examples (sorry for my english... :biggrin: ).

"Citation in Army Orders

NUNGESSER Charles Eugène Jules Marie

Seeing a British plane attacked by four German scouts, he engaged them alone using his well-known courage and managed to shot down the more agressive one and chased away the remaining three. Less than an hour later, he shot down another enemy plane increasing to 20 the number of his victories".

The British plane has his guns jammed and wasn't able to return fire. The German fighters were led by Ace Obltn Hans Schilling, 8 victories, shot down in flames, and killed in action by Nungesser. The French ace was then awarded the Military Cross.

"Citation July 1, 1917

NUNGESSER Charles Eugène Jules Marie

Pilot beyond compare, never cease to prove his magnificant devotion to duty. On June 26, 1917, alone against six, he shot down two of his opponents, and chased away the four others."

This particular fight became famous because Jullian gave two names of what he said to have been Jasta 27 pilots shot down in flames by Nungesser (it's unclear how he actually got these). Furthermore, he said the Germans were led by Göring who eventually gave orders during WW2 to destroyed Nungesser and Coli momument built in their memory at Etretat. Jullian added copy of German official documents asking for that but nothing which really proves Göring direct responsability. So maybe... we will never know for sure. I won't be surprised if it really hapenned this way.

:)

Edited by xjouve

Jullian added copy of German official documents asking for that but nothing which really proves Göring direct responsability. So maybe... we will never know for sure. I won't be surprised if it really hapenned this way.

:)

Yeah, sounds like something 'Fat Bastard' would do. I really hate that guy.

Udet should have been given control over JG1, not Fat Bastard.

"He shot down one more Spad for his 22nd and final victory. The respected historian and author, Norman Franks, noted that many of Goring's kills seem to have occurred over British lines, a rather suspicious circumstance."

I agree.... suspicious...

I would have also voted for Udet, but dictators don't let people vote even.

Udet, when he had become a Luftwaffe general, finally killed himself, when he saw,

which direction everything went in Germany.

A real shame - the fatty should have rather done so.

I have flown in the Lafayette but plan on starting a career with the Storks soon.

I have an Ace autograph and memorabilia collection (all wars) and I have a 4 page hand written letter by Nungesser (Talking about funding for his crross atlantic flight of all things...) as one of my faovrite pieces .

I love the French Aces!