• Announcements

• Erik

26 September - Maintenance Notification   09/21/2024

CombatACE.com will be offline this upcoming Thursday morning, September 26, 2024. The duration of this event will be 4-5 hours. Our website will be unavailable and return an error during that time. Maintenance of our equipment is unavoidable, and this downtime will allow the opportunity to replace worn and damaged fans, power supply units, and thermal paste throughout all our equipment. Thank you for reading our maintenance advisory.
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Barnstorm

TrackerIR Upgrade

Guest Barnstorm

Hope this post finds everyone well after Easter. In catching-up on reading the posts here, it occurred to me to share something I should have weeks ago.

I had been using the TrackerIR for almost a year with the reflective "antennae" mounted on a baseball cap. After I upgraded to the "TrackClipPro", which clips on my headphones, I noticed a definite system performance increase. Since the TrackClip is a USB device, the responsiveness of TrackerIR has improved, the overall FPS has increased and the annoying phenomena of the "white triangles" or the scenery fragmenting when the POV is moved too quickly (by head rotation) has greatly diminished.

I have no financial interest in Natural Point, so this is not a sales pitch, but for $35.00 US, I think it is an option worth considering, if you do not already have it.

Barnstorm - how does that look, and what's the cost for it?

Guest Barnstorm

Olham-

The TrackClip itself resembles a Bluetooth wireless device, about 2" in length and conical in shape. That clips to the side of the headphone band or frame. Three small optical "fingers" extend from the unit and gather the image from your monitor and feed it via back to the Tracker unit. Since the Clip is USB powered, it is much more efficient and sensitive then the basic TrackerIR which uses the reflective material to bounce the image back to the Tracker unit. I paid $35.00 US about 6 weeks ago for the unit. I see on the Natural Point web site that they are offering a "package deal" that includes the TrackClipPro at somewhat of a discount, for those who do not have the basic setup yet.

Obviously, I am not a tech expert, but I hope I have answered your ?'s If I honestly did not feel it was worth the investment, I would not recommend it here and risk "egg on my face". :haha: One caveat, thought, I do have multi-port A/C powered USB HUB, that all my input devices feed into.

So, I won't have a cable from head to rig? It's Bluetooth then, and much more fefficient/precise?

In that case, I may get it.

So, I won't have a cable from head to rig? It's Bluetooth then, and much more fefficient/precise?

In that case, I may get it.

Erm no Olham.

I find the clip does help improve the smoothness of TRACKIR ,probably because it relies on positive beams from the clip to the receiver rather than passive reflectors.

It is USB cabled to your rig or hub and not wireless.I think Barnstorm was trying to describe the clip as looking like a bluetooth wireless device.

Please see this PDF from Naturalpoint's website

http://media.naturalpoint.com/files/print/...tart-200612.pdf

HTH

best

nio

Edited by nio48

Erm no Olham.

I find the clip does help improve the smoothness of TRACKIR ,probably because it relies on positive beams from the clip to the receiver rather than passive reflectors.

It is USB cabled to your rig or hub and not wireless.I think Barnstorm was trying to describe the clip as looking like a bluetooth wireless device.

Please see this PDF from Naturalpoint's website

http://media.naturalpoint.com/files/print/...tart-200612.pdf

HTH

best

nio

Barnstorm, Nio, et. al,

Funny, I found the TrackClip Pro to be clunky and not nearly as smooth as the traditional reflective TrackClip. I played around with profiles for several hours and could never get it to work as well as the older technology. Any thoughts??

I guess that's why I always close my answers to technical questions on this forum with "Of course, your mileage may vary" :wink:

Cheers

Barnstorm, Nio, et. al,

Funny, I found the TrackClip Pro to be clunky and not nearly as smooth as the traditional reflective TrackClip. I played around with profiles for several hours and could never get it to work as well as the older technology. Any thoughts??

I guess that's why I always close my answers to technical questions on this forum with "Of course, your mileage may vary" :wink:

Cheers

Hi Birddog

Your experience is different to mine.

Just a thought, but when setting up did you go into your profiles and put a dot in the track clip pro button at the head of each profile page?. I apologise if you did so and this was not the problem for you.

best

nio

Hi Birddog

Your experience is different to mine.

Just a thought, but when setting up did you go into your profiles and put a dot in the track clip pro button at the head of each profile page?. I apologise if you did so and this was not the problem for you.

best

nio

Nio,

Your post encouraged me to try it again.

Yes, I did check the TrackClip Pro button and position the sensor to the side of my monitor. My problem may be due to a wobbly, cheap headset. TrackIR recommends Creative headsets. What's brand/model are you using?

Thanks

Cheers

Nio,

Your post encouraged me to try it again.

Yes, I did check the TrackClip Pro button and position the sensor to the side of my monitor. My problem may be due to a wobbly, cheap headset. TrackIR recommends Creative headsets. What's brand/model are you using?

Thanks

Cheers

Birddog

This may sound lame but I am at work and canot recall the make of my headset.

I think it is a Sennheiser gaming noise-cancelling headset and mike, although I cannot recall which model.

It is essential to ensure that the clip is firmly clipped to your headset.The fitting can be a bit loose. If I recall correctly, I had to wedge some folded card and trim it to ensure a snug fit. Do please persevere as I firmly believe, based upon my experience, that the clip does provide smoother gameplay over the cap-fitting standard reflector device.

I wish you every success.

best

nio

Nio,

If I had invested in a quality Sennheiser headset, you can be sure that I'd make it work!! I'll poke around and see what deals I can find...

Thanks

For those of us ( ME ) who don't wear headphones, it's a lost cause. I run a 200 watt subwoofer that can't be duplicated in headphones.

Same here Uncle Al. 400 watts. Looking at teh nails I've driven out of the sheet rock flying IL-2. :ok:

I've GOT to get a new clip and see if my old TrakIR profiles are saved somewhere on my PC.

Warren

Guest Barnstorm

One other thought---as I memtioned to Olham, I use an AC powered USB hub. I know that does improve the performance of all the USB devices on your system.

Olham, sorry if I gave you the wrong "picture" of the TrackClip. I tie-wrap the wire to the CLip to the headset wire, since the Clip USB connector mates with the headset prior to plugging in to the USB Hub.

Oh, BTW, BirdDog, is the Check-Mark in the "Real View" Box in TRackerIR, when you select your profile and click the "motion" TAB?

Barnstorm - how does that look ....

Olham, like myself is a stylish guy, a man of supreme good taste in all things worthwhile. It doesn't matter how this Heath Robinson contraption works ... it's how good it looks upon your bonce .... right Olham !

Although the hat clip reflectors are quite stylish, poking people's eyes out with it regularly when doing a spot of RL shopping, is becoming tedious. I'm leaning toward the safer, yet still fashionable, trackclip.

I can't believe the manufacturer doesn't realize that some people don't use a headset. I've too much invested in my soundcard, surround amp and surround speakers to go with the headset option. Why don't they offer this product in a "hat clip-on" configuration? They're missing a lot of sales IMHO.

I also think the traker clip pro was a big improvment over the reflective clip especially if there is any other light in the area.

I took a old phone headset that had a single speaker and mic on it an removed the speaker and mic and just use the head band and the tracker clip works great on it.