Sign in to follow this  
wsmwsm

Balloons - spontaneous combustion?

Is it my imagination or do balloons (spotters) blow up - on their own - as you approch them? Are they being shot by their own AA as the aircaft nears?

Hello,

no, i have also seen this. The enemy AI does not fiddle around when our flight approaches a balloon, and shoots everywhere, eventually the own balloon - mission accomplished :biggrin:

No, i'd say it is a bug and - if possible - should be corrected.

Greetings,

Catfish

This appears to have appeared only in the latest patch.

And, yes, it happens to me on every balloon busting mission. The balloon explodes before I (or any of my wingmen) ever fire a shot.

There's usually another balloon somewhere close by, so I go and shoot that one down and I get the kill score.

Obviously a programming glitch somewhere.

ttt

I had something similar happen to me. I was on a balloon busting mission and my flight was jumped by a superior number of Pfalz DIIIa’s just as I was approaching the balloon. I had one closing in on me but managed a good few bursts into it. To my chagrin it did not explode. I had to break and engage the EA all around the balloon. As I was dog fighting, out of the corner of my eye, I saw the balloon explode. I had the same thought you did. Was that flak or a delayed reaction to my gunnery? I downed the Pfalz, got shot up by others and limped home. I filed a claim for the Pfalz and “penciled in” a kill for the balloon. HQ has yet to inform me of their decision. 

Yep,,,been happening to me too.....i kinda chaulked it up to flak....but guess thats not what was doing it..

I always chalked it up to artillery from the other side. Very common to be taken potshots at the balloons with timed fuses. I was reading an account of one observer who had a bout with a gun they nicknamed (5 second charlie). I believe his balloon was shot down 3 times in one day before he finally was able to get up long enough to locate and call in a shoot on the gun.

I don't think this is new. I had this happen to me quite often when I played the game straight out of the box. I reported this in the early days of bug reporting. I also think its the enemy ground fire firing haphazardly at you that causes this.

just my .02,

John

IIRC this has been there since phase 1. It went away for a while, now seems to be back?

No big deal though.