Sign in to follow this  
Fortiesboy

OFF and flight sim shows Help with sales?

In the recent thread, which was locked ( I found it somewhat amusing myself, and not at all nasty ), there was a sensible part which talked about how to get the sales of OFF increased.

I was going to mention in there OFF and flight sims shows. In the UK there is now at least one flight sim show a year. I suspect there are quite a few in USA and maybe in Europe.

These have declined in popularity, i know, over the last few years; but a lot of it may be because almost the only sim showing at the last couple I've been to was MS FSX.

However, at one show, there was one other new sim showing - Black Shark. And it consistently had the largest group of punters looking at it. I think they weere meant to be interested in the motion chair used to fly it, or something like that, but what drew the punters was, no doubt, the sim.

I have always considered that if OFF was the sim used to show off one or two of the hardware guys' products, then they would draw more interest ( If only as a change from FSX !)- Actually it would tap a well of curiosity, I'm sure, 'cos lots of these punters - and some exhibitors, haven't a clue what OFF is- in fact these seem to know little about anything other than FSX.

My point is that where there is a flight sim show, there should OFF be also- if it can be arranged. I have bought hardware products from one or two of the regular British hardware exhibitors, and I can only think it might be worth an approach to one of them to show OFF next time instead of or as well as FSX.?

And I can't think of a better way to publicise OFF than seeing it flown all day at a flight sim show.

Just a suggestion to the Devs! to consider.

I would quite enjoy 'pushing' OFF (pardon the pun) at a flightsim show!..it would be great fun to do!...and is a good idea

Fantastic notion and i second you UK,i would be only too willing to support in any way an OFF stall at the flightsim show/s.

Another excellent idea.. every thing helps. :good:

I also think Natural Point, the TrackIR manufacturer should have at least one good movie of OFF in action using thier IR4 and new clip. They already have 4 Aces High II films, Battle of Britain II, Combat Flight Sim3 and in 3d to boot, a whole bunch of FlightSimulator 2004 and FSX videos, 2 IL2S clips, etc., etc., but not one OFF video. And there have been some outstanding recent videos contributed by users, as well as by, of course, our resident film director, Pol de Loffty. What we would need is someone with a video camera to film sone one using TIR4 with OFF BHH, maybe with a tripple screen set up or something else impressive.. filmed over their shoulder and then the on screen effect as well. Kill two "birds" with one stone, send a copy to the TrippleHead manufacturer for viewing of their site as well.

Here's a good one done of CFS3 way back with Track IR3 and 3d (click here) I know some of you guys here good do an even better job with OFF BHH

Edited by rabu

Can't think of many people I would enjoy doing a show with more than you Jayo or Fortiesboy!

Star chaps!!

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Another excellent idea.. every thing helps. :good:

I also think Natural Point, the TrackIR manufacturer should have at least one good movie of OFF in action using thier IR4 and new clip. They already have 4 Aces High II films, Battle of Britain II, Combat Flight Sim3 and in 3d to boot, a whole bunch of FlightSimulator 2004 and FSX videos, 2 IL2S clips, etc., etc., but not one OFF video. And there have been some outstanding recent videos contributed by users, as well as by, of course, our resident film director, Pol de Loffty. What we would need is someone with a video camera to film sone one using TIR4 with OFF BHH, maybe with a tripple screen set up or something else impressive.. filmed over their shoulder and then the on screen effect as well. Kill two "birds" with one stone, send a copy to the TrippleHead manufacturer for viewing of their site as well.

Here's a good one done of CFS3 way back with Track IR3 and 3d (click here) I know some of you guys here good do an even better job with OFF BHH

Come on guys.. someone must be interested?

I agree with Fortiesboy and had some of the same thoughts. I've been to many airshows including the Dawn Patrol Rendeszvous at the Dayton Air Force Museum. many people at these events are usually afficianados of some degree and get caught up in the event. Wanting to be a part of it, somehow, they buy things they otherwise might not such as cheap T shirts, memorabilia, pictures, games, puzzles, etc. I think these would be excellent venues to showcase OFF with some computers set up or at least videos showing some of the action. Also, in that situation, as has been mentioned before, it would be almost vital to bundle CFS3 with it. Of course, this would require some type of arrangement to obtain copies of CFS3 at special pricing and OFF the same or on consignment otherwise the initial cost along with booth rental might be prohibitive. I have other ideas as well, but need to flesh them out more.

Interested? Indeed, but the stumbling block is time. It takes time to acquire enough really good clips to put together a watchable movie. What if we set up some basic requirements, like 'D.VII's vs. SPADS/Summer/Morning/15,000 and collect clips from members. Editing them together would be a fairly simple task, plus a little music..and then go conquer the sim world.

I would be interested but I have FreeTrack, the DIY poor man’s version. I built it to see if I would like it. It works great for MS FSX but in OFF I do not get the 6 DOF. I only use it in OFF to make videos. I know the guys here swear by it but I couldn’t get the hang of it in combat so I didn’t buy TrackIR.

Interested? Indeed, but the stumbling block is time. It takes time to acquire enough really good clips to put together a watchable movie. What if we set up some basic requirements, like 'D.VII's vs. SPADS/Summer/Morning/15,000 and collect clips from members. Editing them together would be a fairly simple task, plus a little music..and then go conquer the sim world.

Ya, it takes time to do everything, but if you don't try, it doesn't get done, right? We wouldn't have OFF itself if we hadn't spent a lot of time on it. :rolleyes: Putting together a good movie could be done in a weekend by some one with the equipment and desire to help though.

My earlier idea of creating a basic video like some of the ones shown on the Natural Point site showing views from behind the player, then from with in the game (which we have plenty of good ones of), could be easily given to Natural Point and to Tripple Head and some other companies where a lot of flight sim players visit. This would just be one way of getting a lot more exposure for OFF out there.

Ya, it takes time to do everything, but if you don't try...

What should Step#1 be?