Sign in to follow this  
Red-Dog

A bad day at black rock...

After 25 missions,14 claims,6 confirmed kills,1 medal and 16.5 hours of flying 'Did' my lateist and best pilot to date died in a take off accident.I'am gutted after nursing my Nieuport babe around the sky like it was part of my family for 2 weeks then for this to happen,it's like losing a best friend.

Life's a bitch.

Better get a new friend. :biggrin:

After such achievements it's alright to be sad for a while.

But don't let it go long, Red Dog, and climb another cockpit. Your country relies on you!

Did you collide with another craft, or was it strong wind?

I have a pilot now with 3 confirmed kills, and 11 waiting claims. Each sortie, I'm glad when we

are at least back over our lines. But I had never before thought of take off accidents.

Really dangerous altogether, a pilot's life back then...

After such achievements it's alright to be sad for a while.

But don't let it go long, Red Dog, and climb another cockpit. Your country relies on you!

Did you collide with another craft, or was it strong wind?

I have a pilot now with 3 confirmed kills, and 11 waiting claims. Each sortie, I'm glad when we

are at least back over our lines. But I had never before thought of take off accidents.

Really dangerous altogether, a pilot's life back then...

Cheer's Olham, it just proves you need to have your wit's about you at all times.

New pilot on his way from the station as we speak.

Just got airborne and the port wing tip hit the ground.

It's a bit of a so-and so the Bebe from what I've heard Red-Dog...do you think?

It's a bit of a so-and so the Bebe from what I've heard Red-Dog...do you think?

I was getting on great with it ,the only thing was the take offs,always seemed to dip a wing and this time it caught me out...

My new mans in a 16 so we will see if it runs in the family.

Did you ever see the movie by that name "A bad day at black rock" starred Spencer Tracy ????

A classic Uncleal.

Commiserations sir.

But at least you made it to ace. :good:

Commiserations sir.

But at least you made it to ace. :good:

Hi Siggi, Yes just after i was confirmed dead at the scene by the ground crew, my letter came saying 6 kills had been confirmed,and heres a medal. :haha:

I was getting on great with it ,the only thing was the take offs,always seemed to dip a wing and this time it caught me out...

My new mans in a 16 so we will see if it runs in the family.

Condolances, Red-Dog. Watch that '16. I found that just like the Bebe, it had a strong tendency to drop the left wing on take off. Not so bad, if you expect it. It seemed setting Autotrim just for the take off seemed to correct it. Good luck to 'the new guy'.

My N17 always does that on takeoff as well. Now I will be more careful about it.

Hurts to go out right at the "cusp" of breaking the 17 hour barrier. Of course, I've never even gotten that close! So, congratulations as well.

Albatros D Va and D Va 200 also tend to tip towards the left - I always start with the stick bent half to the right side.

Also she needs a little rudder right. That seems to do it.